Fussing and crying at breast

(8 Posts)
susiebee46 Thu 08-May-14 12:59:58

My 8 week old ds is fussing and crying at the breast. He latches on then comes off and cries, I re latch him he has a few sucks then comes off again, he seems very hungry trying to such on everything in sight but won't stay attached to the breast.
He has done this on and off for the past few weeks but I'm finding it's increasing, during the last 24 hours he's had one good feed. This morning I gave him a bottle of expressed milk which he guzzled with no problems.
Not really sure what I can do, he's gaining weight fine, and has lots of wet nappies. He's only pooing ever 3 or 4 days but when he does one it's huge.
He's quite a windy baby and I'm sure all the coming on and off is making it worse.

Misty9 Thu 08-May-14 14:21:56

Do you let down before he comes off? Dd is nearly 3 weeks old and she does this frantic rooting but not staying latched when she's overtired (I think) and wants to suckle to sleep - but doesn't want all the milk she gets jetted into her mouth when I let down!

Not sure about your LO doing it for every feed though... These babies are sent to baffle us!

sleepywombat Sun 11-May-14 07:35:06

Mine started doing the same at 6 weeks (although he was late - so almost 8 weeks). It started when we were out & he was overstimulated, he would still feed properly in dark room at home. Then it progressed to only feeding well at night, refusing all other feeds (well sometimes taking the foremilk then off/on/off/on yanking my nipple ow ow ow)...

I have worked out that it is overtiredness & his tongue & lip tie mean that it is hard for him to latch and he is too lazy to suck properly. Unfortunately the head of paediatrics here doesn't 'believe in tt/lt affecting feeding'. Gah! Does your ds have tt or lt?

Anyway, my ds started losing weight & I got mastitis twice, so I've been assigned a lactation consultant who has had me pumping top ups for every feed in the hope that he'll go back to the breast full time. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be happening (he is 13 weeks now & dropped from 25th to 3rd percentile) and I physically can't pump enough for a full bottle every feed. We have good days & then overtired, bad days. On the overtired days, when he refuses to feed, I don't have time to pump because I am trying to get him to sleep (or looking after my other 2 dcs)!

So, not much advice, would love if others could chime in! But do check for tt or lt. You'll probably be able to get it lasered/snipped there.

Other thought is reflux/allergies. I'm already gluten, soy, dairy free, but wondering if I need to give up eggs & nuts too as ds has had mucous in his poo the last 2 weeks. Hate this. Wanted an easy one this time....!

Good luck

Enidosaurus Sun 11-May-14 08:35:23

Having the same problem with my 8 week old for the last few days.
I've been mixed feeding and giving bottles of ebm and formula now and then, have had mo issues with supply thank goodness.
Recently it's been every evening as she pulls away screaming and won't go on for more than a couple of sucks. It's so frustrating. I offer the other side, I wind, I change positions- nothing seems to work. I have no advice but will be watching hoping someone with more knowledge comes along.

JellyStrawberries Sun 11-May-14 09:57:03

My 4.5 wo gets like this, particularly early evening when he's fussy and grumpy. I think he wants to suck but doesn't really want milk. He gets very agitated so I have been giving him his dummy for 15 mins or so and then trying again. He's usually calmer then and either feeds properly or drifts off to sleep. I think he gets tired and wants to suck to sleep but gets annoyed with the milk!

JellyStrawberries Sun 11-May-14 09:58:00

Oh, and it definitely makes him windy which adds to the discomfort and makes him crankier!

susiebee46 Sun 11-May-14 11:03:32

Thanks all, I'm trying not to stress about it as he's putting on weight, some days it just seems like he has nothing to eat and I'm getting pretty sore with all the off and on
Sleepy he's not been checked for tongue tie, he's put on weight steadily and I assumed the latch is normally fine other when he's having a fussy time. I'll ask the hv to have a look. How annoying for you that they don't think it affects feeding, hope you get it sorted.
I've been expressing quite a bit and giving him a bottle the last few days, quite often he fusses with the bottle too, has a tiny bit the falls asleep so think overstimulation and tiredness are definitely factors. He's Lso much better at night in quiet dark room
I also think I produce milk quite quickly, when pumping I can get a couple of oz in a few mins so I think this can be quite hard for him to deal with.
When he's being very fussy I've stopped trying to feed him and give him to dp for a few mins whilst we all calm down and then have another go at feeding a bit later. I think I was creating a bit of a vicious circle of anxiety and fussiness
Good luck with all your little fussers!

Misty9 Sun 11-May-14 16:28:25

I'd definitely get checked for tongue tie as the falling asleep could be down to exhaustion from working so hard to get milk.

We've had a potential breakthrough with feeding here. My baby was thrashing around which I thought was wind but I now actually think it was frustration at the milk not coming out easily enough. I've started doing breast compression when she's slowing and she's staying on longer after letdown and seeming more satisfied and less grizzly. She has been checked and has slight posterior tongue tie which was deemed not to be an issue for feeding. But I think it might be so will head to breastfeeding support this week.

Hope this helps smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now