Fenugreek capsules for milk supply - a cheaper alternative

(2 Posts)
NutellaLawson Wed 07-May-14 16:22:38

I'm on the fenugreek to try to increase my milk supply (with both my babies the amount plummeted at around 5 weeks - a tsp from each side).

I know three teaspoons of fenugreek a day helped to turn it around last time, but I find the cost of the fenugreek capsules so expensive, when I know ground fenugreek is so cheap (especially from an ethnic foods shop, where you can get the larger bags of the stuff).

So I tried to take it directly. BLEURGH, fenugreek is bitter and horrible. I tried stirring it into honey, yoghurt, drinking it as a tea. All horrible. Tastes like straw. The flavour even overpowers the honey.

So I finally tried making chapatis out of it and this is MUCH better.

Ingredients:
3 heaped tablespoons flour (plain, wholemeal or bread flour. Doesn't matter).
1-2 teaspoons fenugreek
quarter teaspoon of salt.
enough water to make a dough.

With the above ingredients, make a dough, knead for a little bit. Cut into two chunks if your frying pan is small.

Put a dry (no oil) frying pan on the heat.

Roll out the dough with a rolling pin to really quite thin (the thinner the better. Makes the chapatis less tough).

Cook each chapati in the frying pan for a few minutes each side. It'll change colour once cooked. The thinner the chapati, the quicker it cooks.

Eat now rather than later, as they're nicer when freshly cooked. I eat them as is, but you can add any filling or sauce you like, or dunk in hummous.

If you want to keep chapatis soft, put a saucepan lid over the chapatis to keep the steam/moisture in.

How much fenugreek you need to get your milk supply up seems to vary between individuals. You know you've got the dose right when you start to smell like maple syrup. For me that's 3 tsp a day. It's not particularly nice, but there are worse things than to walk around smelling of pancakes.

Cariad007 Thu 08-May-14 10:46:21

There's also an alternative to taking the powder - just swallow a teaspoon or two of fenugreek seeds with a glass of water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now