newborn jaundice advice please

(34 Posts)
eightyearsonhere Sun 04-May-14 13:34:39

Hello, sort of a quick question - does sunlight help to clear jaundice?

Does it work if the sunlight is actually grey skies gloom through a window?

Or is that only if it is actually bright direct sunlight?

Baby is looking quite yellow today, and is a bit more sluggish when feeding. I am of course hoping to avoid having to go get levels checked, use lamps etc.
Generally feeding is going well, though she steadfastly refuses the left breast I am hoping this will sort itself out.
4 wet nappies today, no dirty ones.
Sorry if missing any detail, I am in a sleepy fug.

outtheothersidefinally Sun 04-May-14 13:41:44

I was in a similar position. Midwife suggested sitting baby by sunny windows. All worked out! I guess your midwife has seen the jaundice? Usually nothing at all to be concerned about, after being checked out.

Enjoy your newborn!

eightyearsonhere Sun 04-May-14 13:56:19

thanks, midwife checked her out day 3 clicked a gauge/ gadget thing against her skin and said she is " below the line". In the past 2 days though she seems more yellow though, and her eyes are yellow an she is quieter - ie sleeps after just a few sucks and has to be roused / forced to take more.
I am sure she will clear it though.

Writerwannabe83 Sun 04-May-14 18:11:15

How old is your baby?

If the yellowing is worsening and she is becoming less responsive and not feeding as well then you need to seek medical advice.

Regular feeding and pooing is what expels all the bilirubin, which is what causes the jaundice. Tiredness is a sign of the levels being too high and then baby becomes too tired to feed effectively and you're in a vicious cycle. I think you should ring the Community Midwives today for advice.

SolomanDaisy Sun 04-May-14 18:19:09

I agree, you need to get this checked.

SolomanDaisy Sun 04-May-14 18:21:21

My DS was fine on day 3 and had to be admitted to special care on day five - his bilirubin levels were to high to be treated at the local hospital and he ended up needing an ambulance transfer to the regional NICU. And he wasn't even particularly sleepy.

Babesh Sun 04-May-14 18:23:05

As above you need your baby checking and I would start expressing ( by hand is fine) and collect that milk for top ups.

Babesh Sun 04-May-14 18:24:00

Just call the delivery suite if community hard to get hold of.

YokoUhOh Sun 04-May-14 18:35:29

They should do a heel prick to check BR levels as the other method doesn't register high levels of billirubin (my midwives kept missing DS's heightened jaundice; he was admitted for not gaining enough but he'd been wrongly weighed and was fine weight-wise - they did a quick heel prick and he had to go under the lights!!). He went back in at 5 days old for a couple of sunbeds and was out within a couple of days. He was still yellow 3 months later but that was due to breastfeeding jaundice and he was dismissed from the extended jaundice clinic.

Get it checked out if you think DD is a bit yellow. Good luck!

Writerwannabe83 Sun 04-May-14 18:39:26

If it were me I'd just go straight to A&E and ask for the levels to be checked. Babies with jaundice can get poorly very quickly.

BubaMarra Sun 04-May-14 18:48:59

I don't want to scare you, but DD2 had really high billi levels although her skin was not particularly yellow. She spent one day in intensive phototherapy and was fine after that. But it can change pretty quickly.

Shedding Sun 04-May-14 19:23:23

I agree, if the community mw has not taken a blood sample this afternoon, go to A and E, it is not being dramatic, just the way to access the right examination and treatment at this time smile

josephine1986 Sun 04-May-14 19:48:18

Agree with above but you dont need to panic,it is more a case of it being monitored.serious cases are v rare,photo lights are horrible but used all the time snd effective

AnythingNotEverything Mon 05-May-14 00:01:21

Absolutely get her checked. Untreated jaundice can be very serious. The colour builds up the body with the face the last place to yellow sinus think if her eyes are discoloured then you shouldn't wait and see.

Congratulations - I'm sure she'll be absolutely fine but it's worth being proactive.

Mouldypineapple Mon 05-May-14 00:09:00

How old is your baby? I agree with others she needs examining by a health care professional esp as she is more drowsy. She needs a blood test to check her bilirubin levels as if untreated can cause her long term harm. Phototherapy may be needed.
Also any baby jaundiced after 14 days needs a split bilirubin blood test as its possible the jaundice is caused by an underlying liver condition rather than typical 'newborn' jaundice.

eightyearsonhere Mon 05-May-14 00:16:04

I was not on MN all evening and have just settled her to sleep so checked in - it seems I may be a bit under-reacting to the jaundice?
She was born last Tuesday so she is 5 and a half days old.
She slept most of today, well she sucks a few sucks then would be content to sleep, but I haven't allowed her to and have really kept on top of her making sure she is drinking loads. She has had 2 dirty nappies and 5 wet ones.
I put her in sunlight for an hour earlier and thought that helped her colour.
I might let her sleep for a few hours now and see how she looks in the morning.
Thanks for all the advice, I am a bit more worried about it now I must say.
I did not know jaundice was dangerous apart from that it makes them sleepy and interferes with feeding.

Babesh Mon 05-May-14 00:18:19

You can call delivery suite and see what they think, they won't mind and are def 24 hr...

eightyearsonhere Mon 05-May-14 00:28:21

Thanks babesh

Writerwannabe83 Mon 05-May-14 13:05:42

How are things today?

SaggyAndLucy Mon 05-May-14 13:45:06

I agree with the above. do wasn't as yellow as our pn ward neighbour but had very high bilirubin levels and very thick blood and ended up in scbu. go get checked out.

SolomanDaisy Mon 05-May-14 22:03:03

I hope she is looking better. Do go to the delivery suite if you haven't already, that was what we did. Jaundice is usually not serious at all, but it is always worth getting it checked as the consequences can be very serious. My DS is fine, but it was very scary when we were being told we would have to wait and see about brain damage (they struggled to get the bilirubin levels down).

tmae Mon 05-May-14 22:12:51

My LO had mild jaundice and he went more yellow after being discharged so rang the midwives in a blind panic and they said it was due to him being exposed to the light, but that exposing him to the light was helping. They came to see him and were relieved that he didn't look too jaundiced to them, to me he looked bright yellow, with quite yellow eyes. I was looking for a picture for you to compare but I think I was too scared to be taking photos! His jaundice cleared up soon after, but I would get checked for your own peace of mind. Hope all is well.

outtheothersidefinally Mon 05-May-14 22:30:28

Definitely get it checked again, do midwives visit daily for first two weeks where you are, or HV? If so, they would have picked it up already?

It's usually nothing to worry about, and easily treated and you are doing all the right things. Try not to worry and get peace of mind by having it checked.

Roxie85 Wed 07-May-14 14:43:08

I would get checked as there are various types of jaundice and you want rid of it asap. My little one lost too much weight (13%) due to not feeding well because of jaundice. They did blood tests 2 days in a row and the levels eventually got high enough to need hospital care.
She went in at 5 days old for overnight light therapy. She had 8hrs of light therapy and after 24hrs in hospital we were allowed home. I was advised to set an alarm every 2.5-3hrs and feed her. I had to wake her by stripping her down to her nappy and it was tough. Eventually though her jaundice started to fade and she started to pile the weight on (we even made it back to birth weight by 2 weeks)
She only lost her jaundice fully when she was about 9-10 weeks old and we had to go to a special clinic for a few weeks for repeat bloods to ensure that it was breastfeeding jaundice and not another kind which is more dangerous.
It was awful going through it at the time as i was so hormonal etc but looking back on it now it doesnt seem so bad.

Writerwannabe83 Wed 07-May-14 19:36:11

My health visitor sent me to A&E today because my DS is still a bit yellow at almost 7 weeks of age. He had to have loads of bloods done and I will hopefully get the results back on Friday. Bless him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now