Oversupply at 3 weeks - should I block feed?

(8 Posts)

I have a 3 week old DS who is gaining weight very rapidly. I am breastfeeding him, and have oversupply issues - the majority of his feeds are spluttery with milk pouring out like a firehose, and he gets very upset and windy as a result.

I've tried different positions (ie feeding lying down, or with him upright) but it doesn't make any difference. I've also read about block-feeding but wonder if at 3 weeks I should just accept my breasts are still adjusting to feeding, and I should let things settle down of their own accord?

McBaby Thu 01-May-14 07:01:00

I would find a lactation consultant to help you . I haveassive oversupply again but was advised by one not to block feed to early on as it can have such an effect on suppy it can cause problems with not enough milk.

deepinthewoods Thu 01-May-14 07:11:19

It may not be oversupply- it could be just a forceful let down- two different things. Speak to a counsellor at NCT or LLL. Lactation consultants can be either expensive or difficult to find.

Tambajam Thu 01-May-14 07:14:27

3 weeks is usually considered a bit early for block feeding as a significant portion of mums with oversupply and overactive letdown at this point find it naturally settle at 4-6 weeks.

You can do the mini-version which is to stick with single-sided feeding and encourage some mild engorgement in the other breast but longer blocks can be riskier.

Another option is to start a letdown with hand expression and let the really fast couple of minutes pour off into a muslin cloth. Not the same thing as pumping before a feed which causes further stimulation.

You can also use the side of a hand to semi-block a portion of the breast and slow flow down. Think 'stepping on a garden hose'. Many ducts are quite close to the skin. You only do this for a few minutes so as not to risk blocked ducts and just to slow things dins at the beginning.

It's not clear from your post whether you are reclining in a biological nurturing type position? Side-lying wouldn't help as much. You need baby above the breast and you reclined right back with baby on their tummy on top of you.

Hope it settles soon.

Tambajam Thu 01-May-14 07:17:38

Lactation consultants also volunteer and work for free. There are plenty listed as 'V' (volunteer) on www.lcgb.org listings (lactation consultants of GB). There are also Breastfeeding Network supporters and Association of Breastfeeding Mothers counsellors - several of them are also LCs.

deepinthewoods Thu 01-May-14 07:27:25

Lactation consultants are thin on the ground. In our city I know of only one that works for free ( and that is within the NHS)

Thank you so much for all your advice, really appreciate it.

feekerry Thu 01-May-14 21:46:39

I have over supply and it caused no end of issues but i didn't start block feeding till 6 weeks and this is my 2nd dc and had over supply 1st time too so feel comfortable with block feeding.
From 7 wks on saw improvement and at 12 weeks now pretty much settled down. I do think as babies get older and bigger they deal with the milk flow better too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now