Think we need to introduce a dummy

(8 Posts)
Numero3 Tue 29-Apr-14 15:11:02

My DS is 6 months old EBF. I know I've created the issue myself because he's never really cried much - if he grizzled I put him on the boob so he settles on me. I've got to go back to work soon so I need my DH to be able to settle him off to sleep.
We really didn't want to give him a dummy but he wants to suck to settle.

Has anyone introduced a dummy at this age?

Any recommendations on what dummy's are best?

TIA smile

Victoria2002 Tue 29-Apr-14 15:18:22

I'd be very surprised if he takes one, (not helpful I know)! Maybe borrow one (several types) from a friend as you'd probably be throwing your money away...

missknows Tue 29-Apr-14 15:52:07

I ended up introducing a dummy at 8 weeks as my baby wanted to suck to sleep all the time and it caused my already large supply to become too much and she then struggled to feed. I did a lot of research and was really worried about giving it but it was one of the best decisions I have made. She only has it to sleep but I give her the dummy and she goes straight to sleep. If not sleepy she spits it out and once asleep she spits it out. She can still fall asleep in the car and pram without it so isn't reliant on it at all. It did take a week or so of 'teaching' her how to use it though as she didn't realise it could fall out if she pushed it with her tongue unlike my boob!

Numero3 Tue 29-Apr-14 17:25:18

Victoria - this is what I'm thinking... He refuses a bottle so don't think he'll be interested... Maybe it's too late..

Miss - I think if I can get him to take it, that's what he'll do. If he falls asleep on me he let's go as soon as he's asleep.

Hopefully someone will come along with a success story blush

Fetacat Tue 29-Apr-14 20:03:56

The avent smoothies you can get from Amazon are meant to be good for breastfed babies as they are nipple shaped. £10 for two! I have wasted loads of money on different dummies but my DS still refuses to take one. I still try now and then just in case.....

Fetacat Tue 29-Apr-14 20:04:20

Avent soothies not smoothies!!

Numero3 Tue 29-Apr-14 23:20:35

Thanks Fetacat - I might give those a go. He's a little monkey! Suppose they just know where the good stuffs at ! grin

Numero3 Thu 01-May-14 14:31:46

Got some Avent ones - he sucks away and hasn't just spat it out (which is what u was expecting!) so maybe we're in luck. It has only been 5 minutes though so I'm sure there's still time for him to throw it at me yet! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now