In a dilemma about when to stop breast feeding (extended bf)

(4 Posts)
JaffaSnaffle Mon 28-Apr-14 20:06:35

My DD2 is 18m, and this was meant to be 'the milestone' when I stopped breast feeding. I fed DD1 until 15m and stopped because I was ttc. I think in my head I'm trying to treat them roughly equally, but I don't think I'll have any more babies, so once it stops, I'll never bf again. How did you know when you were ready to stop?

FatalCabbage Mon 28-Apr-14 20:11:29

Both times I was pg with the next and developed nursing aversion. Was hugely glad when they happily weaned by the "Don't offer, don't refuse" method.

But like you I'm bf my last baby, with no real idea of when I'll stop. Cross that bridge when we get to it? Don't forget there are still benefits for years to come, so there's no rush.

gamerchick Mon 28-Apr-14 20:15:37

I stopped when my youngest was 3 1/2, you just know when you're ready and there's no rush to stop. You can try the don't offer, don't refuse method but tbh I found breastfeeding really helped with the terrible twos.. it's your call, your child, your boobs.

In my case I went on holiday for a week and just didn't start up again when I got back.

monopod Wed 30-Apr-14 12:45:43

In a similar situation here. With my first, I nursed until just after 2y and having gradually reduced feeds to once a day at bedtime, decided to stop offering as he wasn't that interested, and that was that as he didn't ask anymore. Got mastitis afterward though...

I'd planned to feed 18mo DD until at least 2y to match her brother, but I can see her going and going and going. She is a boob monster and when she was ill recently I really wanted my body back to myself by Day 3! It helps that I can reason with her now, though, and I find distraction helpful when she just wants comfort and the boob is her automatic comfort blanket.

I think as gamerchick says there probably comes a point when you know it's time to stop. You've done a great thing for your DD already having fed to 18mo smile Me, I think I'm going to go with when she decides to stop. And if I need to call time on it before that, I'll cross that bridge when we come to it! For now, on the whole, I'm still enjoying our little moments together...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now