Combined pill and breastfeeding 2YO

(5 Posts)
cheepcheep Sun 27-Apr-14 21:49:18

DC2 is 2 and is still breastfeeding in the morning and evening. I am on the implant but the side effects are starting to become troublesome(mood swings, weight gain and two weekly periods) so I've been thinking of having it out. We're hoping to try for DC3 in a year or two and need some form of contraception until then so I was wondering whether the combined pill is ok take as DC is only feeding twice a day?

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 28-Apr-14 11:42:57

No idea sorry. Have you tried calling one of the helplines? smile

Sunflower1985 Mon 28-Apr-14 21:45:03

I contacted the breastfeeding network and their pharmacist was able to advise on methods. Can't find a proper link but the factsheet said .....

The combined pill is not suitable for a breastfeeding mother in the first 6 months after delivery. In theory after this time the supply is established and will not be lowered by the oestrogen content of the combined pill. However, some mothers do notice an effect so the decision to use it should not be undertaken lightly if you want to carry on breastfeeding. If you take it and do notice your supply diminishes you can stop taking it (remember to take additional precautions!) and restimulate your supply with frequent breastfeeds.

I went with the mini pill but there are many other bf friendly options.

Here's what the factsheet says.....

The progesterone only contraceptive pill (mini pill) is generally recommended during breastfeeding. It needs to be taken at the same time every day continuously – a delay of more than 3 hours may mean contraceptive protection is lost. The POP is generally started a minimum of 3 weeks after delivery but ideally no less than 6 weeks to avoid interfering with milk production. Vomiting and severe diarrhoea can interfere with absorption.
Oral progestogen-only contraceptives can be started up to and including day 21 postpartum without the need for additional contraceptive precautions. If started more than 21 days postpartum, additional contraceptive precautions are required for 2 days. In most cases contraception is initiated at the 6 week post natal check. Initiation too early after delivery may interfere with priming of prolactin receptors.
Normally, the POP does not affect lactation but I have had anecdotal reports from quite a few women who have noted a rapid drop in milk supply after beginning it. Anyone noticing such an effect should report it to the MHRA via yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

cheepcheep Fri 02-May-14 23:45:51

Thanks for the information, that's really helpful. Unfortunately I've tried the mini pill and had bad mood swings on it so I have a feeling the only options are to stick it out with the implant or to go back to good old condoms.

TenThousandSpoons Sun 04-May-14 23:09:53

I've just been given the POP to start - practice nurse I saw said not to go on the combined pill even though ds is 2.5 so I wasn't worried about milk drying up (keen to encourage him to wean!) - she said you shouldn't go on combined pill because the oestrogen goes into your milk and then into your child. Could you try a different pop?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now