What's 'Normal' for a 20 Week Old?

(2 Posts)
Scotinoz Thu 24-Apr-14 13:20:45

Hi,

I'm just trying to work out what's kind of 'normal' with breast feeding...

My 20 week old is a wee star other than she's taken to feeding every three hours again during the night. She used to do a five or six hour stretch at night but over the past week it's been back to three hours.

She doesn't feed so regularly during the day. I offer every three hours, sometimes more frequently. Gawping at the world going by is far more interesting than eating in her books! I've tried feeding her in a dark room, with a muslin over her etc but she still does a lot of looking around.

I think she's just making up for lost daytime eating with her night time feeds, but she's my first so I'm just guessing!

Is this just a phase? Is there sometime I can do? Do I just suck it up? Does it mean she's hungry for more than just milk (she's had a bit of a munch on some bread etc but doesn't look that interested in food)?

Thanks!

KikiShack Thu 24-Apr-14 17:11:59

I can't say much about what's normal but I suggest looking into the 4 month also regression- your DD sounds like she might be doing a fairly mild version of that.
Fwiw my DD (28wks) has only in the last few weeks dropped down from feeding every 2 hours in the day, though she will often have a small feed every couple of hours and big ones only 3-4 times a day. She also only cut down from feeding every 2-3 hrs at night when we moved her to her own room around 23/24 weeks. She now sleeps through or wakes once most nights.
Your DD sounds entirely normal to me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now