Introducing a bottle

(4 Posts)
MummyPig24 Wed 23-Apr-14 20:14:02

Ds2 is almost 7 weeks old and ebf. He had one bottle of ebm a few weeks ago when dh and I went out for our anniversary.

If I introduce a bottle of formula for a late night feed will it affect my supply?

SpiderRoaster Wed 23-Apr-14 21:31:46

Introducing formula will effect your supply if you don't express. Your milk supply works on supply and demand - if baby sucks, then milk is produced, if baby doesn't, your body thinks it doesn't require it, so reduces the amount produced.

A one off bottle of formula might not effect it too much, but a regular one will.

What are your reasons for introducing a bottle of formula at night?

AnythingNotEverything Wed 23-Apr-14 21:37:12

Lots of people successfully offer one bottle per day from this sort of age. I think as long as it's consistent ie the same time, the same amount of milk offered etc your supply ought to adjust, as it would if your baby starting sleeping through.

I second the question, why are you wanting to introduce a bottle? Lots of parents feel some duty to introduce one due to fears of bottle refusing babies and it creates lots of extra work for little gain in some families.

MummyPig24 Wed 23-Apr-14 21:49:17

I'm just worried that if I decide to wean him at some point he won't take a bottle. I may not want to wean him and just let him go right on to cows milk in a cup. But he's only little and I may feel differently in a few months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now