Feeding dilemma - Advice needed

(9 Posts)
Ruru1982 Tue 22-Apr-14 22:38:24

I am the proud mum of a 14 week old little girl smile. Being a first time mum its always good to get advice... My little one used to only get up three times a night, but for the past week has been getting up every 2 hours, and is so desperate to feed, bless her! I am using C&G number 1, I have tried uping her bottles but she wont take anymore than 150mls (if she does, she is sick or spits it out. Even with burping/breaks in between). I just wondered if anybody has used the C&G for hungrier babies, and if its the way forward so she gets longer sleeps? Is she old enough for it? Pros and cons? Thanks

SpiderRoaster Tue 22-Apr-14 22:44:01

Hi ruru. Firstly, congrats. I'm curious as to why you think every 2 hours isn't normal? Is it because previously she slept longer? It is really normal for babies sleep patterns to change as they grow and develop.

Google "4 month sleep regression". It is normal for them to growth spurt, want comfort from you and to wake durng the night for many months.

No experience of C&G hungrier babies I'm afraid. Personally, I think it is a case of just 'riding it out' but others may be along to say differently.

Remember, this too shall pass. She'll get in to another pattern, you'll just get used to it, and it will change all over again smile

ExBrightonBell Tue 22-Apr-14 22:52:32

I would also say it sounds pretty normal behaviour. It's probably that she's about to have a growth spurt and needs the extra food. The last thing that she (or really any baby imo) needs is so called "hungrier" baby milk.

"Hungrier" baby milk is supposed to be harder to digest for babies, and so it makes them feel fuller for longer. However it has the same calories as ordinary first milk, so if your baby want extra calories, using this milk will not help.

Ruru1982 Tue 22-Apr-14 22:54:45

Thank you for advice Spider roaster, much appreciated smile

She has been sleeping for longer recently, I was just worried there was something wrong. i have had quite a few people commenting on how she should be sleeping through the night at this age, and am I doing the right amount of feeds etc. I have just been doing what every mum does, feed her when she is hungry, comfort her and make sure that she is comfortable to go to sleep again. Some people have said I am too fussy, but I wont be changing my ways!

Thanks about the advice about the growth spurt. makes sense, she is getting heeaavvvy smile Just googling now.

Many Thanks again

Ruru1982 Tue 22-Apr-14 22:56:02

Thanks EXbrightonbell... Im gonna research some more about the milk but pretty sure Im gonna stick with what I have got smile

callamia Tue 22-Apr-14 22:58:23

You're doing a fine job. Anyone who tells you what your baby should be doing about sleep at such a young age is unlikely to be any kind of sleep expert... Ignore them. This phase will pass (although for me, it's returned at 6 months!), keep doing what you're doing.

Shropshiremummy2B Tue 22-Apr-14 23:02:44

My 10 week old is given hungry baby for any bottle after 7pm. She has a dream feed at 10pm then sleeps till 4am then again until 8am. I have no idea if it makes any difference but I'm not going to stop now!!

Although she isn't very windy I still use anti colic bottles for night feeds so that when she falls asleep at the end of her 10 and 4 feeds I don't need to wind her.

Hope this helps.

ExBrightonBell Tue 22-Apr-14 23:04:54

Ha, sleeping through at 14 weeks! Hmm, some babies do, but by no means all. Have a look at the ISIS Sleep website which has evidence based information about how babies actually sleep and what is "normal" for the age of your baby. Could be useful to point out to people with more old fashioned ideas about babies and sleep.

Ruru1982 Wed 23-Apr-14 08:05:09

Thanks to all for advice!

Last night she got up every 1-2 hours... sometimes refused to eat, so I guess she just needs comforting at the moment.

I looked at that website, really interesting! Thanks alot. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now