Yet another breastfeeding question from me I'm afraid.....

(11 Posts)
MrsGiraffe12 Sun 20-Apr-14 19:09:13

To mums who are currently breastfeeding - I'm 20 weeks pregnant and I've had really really sensitive nipples all pregnancy so far, to the point they are painful if they get cold, rub or I bash them on something.

Will this affect my chances of successful breastfeeding? And is there anything I can do to help prepare my nipples such as using a nipple cream or something?

TerrariaMum Sun 20-Apr-14 19:15:44

I don't think it will affect bfing. I ebf both my dds and am now bfing ds and had the soreness in all my pregnancies. But that is only my experience so no guarantees.

StretchyBunny Sun 20-Apr-14 20:56:45

It shouldn't do. I had sensitive nipples in pregnancy and found breastfeeding fine. It hurt a bit at first so I regularly applied lansinoh (get some!) but within a couple of weeks I was fine. Good luck for the rest if your pregnancy

DaffodilsandTruffles Sun 20-Apr-14 21:02:48

IME this is normal.

RuthlessBaggage Sun 20-Apr-14 21:04:29

I second Lansinoh - after every feed for the first week or so.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck!

CheeseTMouse Sun 20-Apr-14 21:06:25

Weirdly I had the same all pregnancy and it hurt but have been fine when it comes to bfing. 8months in and still going...

showtunesgirl Sun 20-Apr-14 21:08:02

Nope. I had sensitive nipples during pregnancy and haven't had any problems.

MrsGiraffe12 Sun 20-Apr-14 21:25:24

Fab thanks all. I assumed this would be the case but for some reason couldn't find any info online! And as I don't know any nursing mothers IRL to ask x

showtunesgirl Mon 21-Apr-14 16:34:14

OP if you really want to prepare, the best thing would be to get yourself along to a breastfeeding cafe before your DC arrives. That way you'll be familiar with where to go for support.

DaffodilsandTruffles Tue 22-Apr-14 21:33:01

Excellent advice there from Showtunesgirl

nickelbabe Tue 22-Apr-14 21:41:06

when I was pregnant, everything felt like it was rubbing my nipples with a grater! even the softest bra.

I have veen breastfeeding dd for 2 years and 4 months smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now