3week old only sleeping on the breast

(7 Posts)
Charingcrossbun Thu 17-Apr-14 20:46:44

My DS is suffering from trapped wind. We are using infacol but he is getting worse.
Tonight he will only stop crying when he has a boob in his mouth! He falls asleep on the breast but then wakes again screaming if I try to move him. So I have been feeding every 20mins since 1830...
DP is out so am on my own and Feeling really crappy; any tips or ideas welcome!

tiktok Thu 17-Apr-14 21:55:54

sad
Why do you think he has trapped wind?

Babies of this age often want to feed off and on for hours, and don't want to be separated from you.

Could it be this?

rachyconks Thu 17-Apr-14 21:59:36

It does sound more like cluster feeding and the three week growth spurt. I remember it well with DD. Pinned to the sofa for hours (3pm-11pm!!), not even able to break for a pee! It does pass though after a couple of days but it is hard work. Just remind yourself that it's the only way the baby can increase your supply to help sustain them.

Hope you are feeling better soon

TheScience Thu 17-Apr-14 23:09:17

I have a 6 week old who tends to do this from about 6/7pm until he finally crashes out at about 11pm. My only tips are get comfy with something good on the TV and snacks in easy reach!

Charingcrossbun Fri 18-Apr-14 09:26:33

Thanks ladies. I think it's trapped wind because he'll be fine then suddenly squirm and squeal; cycling his legs or burping him over the shoulder sometimes produces a good fart or burb that stops the screaming for a minutes it so. You are right though it could well be comfort too. If I'm honest this morning with a happy sleeping baby it doesn't seem a big deal - last night it was!!
Thanks

Littlef00t Sun 20-Apr-14 16:08:10

I think the suckling can relieve the pain. Have you tried a dummy?

BonaDea Mon 21-Apr-14 10:54:53

He's tiny and only three weeks old. He cried when you move him because he doesn't want to be moved! Let him sleep on you for a few weeks longer - I think I did this til about 7 weeks. Hard going at the time, but ds was so content, no screaming and we didn't have an issue moving him when he was that bit bigger. We swaddled when he eventually moved off me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now