suspected oral thrush 8 week old what can I do ?

(2 Posts)
route666 Sat 05-Apr-14 13:57:05

I am pretty sure dd 8 weeks has oral thrush she is very fussy , fussying alot when feeding and has white patches on her lip and tiny bit inside cheeks .
I remember using daktaren when dd1 was a baby but its from 4 months , is there anything i can buy over the counter today to help her ?

TheScience Sat 05-Apr-14 14:10:04

You can buy daktarin over the counter. I was prescribed it for DC1 as a newborn - the GP explained that the 4 month warning is because someone squeezed a blob into their baby's mouth and as it is sticky it choked them. His advice was "don't squeeze a blob of anything into your baby's mouth"!

You just have to be sensible and put a smear on your finger and rub it on the inside of the cheeks/lips/tongue etc. I found with both my DC it improved within hours and was gone within days.

If you are breastfeeding get some canestan/clotrimazole cream for your nipples too even if you have no symptoms and be extra vigilant about handwashing, sterilising bottles and dummies, hot washing bras and muslins etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now