Could do with a bit of reassurance re. feeding

(6 Posts)
nappyrat Fri 04-Apr-14 23:38:50

My LO is 10 months old and has been exclusively BF since birth. I'm going back to work 2 days a week when he's 12 months and am trying to get BFs down to just morning and evening so he doesn't have a shock to the system when I'm away from him for 8 hrs a day. :-(
Aside from 2 BFs a day, fluids-wise, he's a bottle refuser, but Ok on a sippy cup, although doesn't seem to drink that much through the day.

I'm looking for opinions on food/drink/BFs...
Specifically:
1. Are 2 BF a day adequate at 10 -12 months?
2. Am happy that range of foods offered is good, but range of food actually consumed is very limited - to porridge (made with whole milk), natural yoghurt (lots of yoghurt!), blueberries, raspberries, plums, sweetcorn, bread, hummus, carrot sticks, rice cakes, occasional lamb & barely dinner, occasional butternut squash puree...and a few other bits. Is this 'normal'? Should I be worried about a lack of masses of veg etc? sad

6.30am - wake, BF
7.30 - porridge, few blueberries, soldier of toast
10.30 - snack after nap of 2 baby rice cakes, offered water in sippy cup but not often taken
12.30 - lunch offered of egg, veg, bread, cheese but normally then porridge actually only main thing eaten. Water offered in sippy cup.
1.30 - BF, trying to cut out this BF as won't be reliably able to do this on work days and don't want to cause distress if it can't happen every day
3 - snack after nap of 2 baby rice cakes, water as usual
4.30 - dinner offered of chicken stew or lamb and barely, but often natural yoghurt and banana only the main thing eaten, water offered.
5 - BF
6.30 - BF before bed
Then sleeps through the night

Sorry, I probably sound neurotic - hopefully not! - but am so worried that my LO is getting good nutrition and feel wracked with guilt about cutting down the BFs. Although I should add that mum baby is generally happy (although going through a rather clingy phase...could this be because he's not getting enough BFs??!).

Thanks in advance.

SundaySimmons Sat 05-Apr-14 06:51:44

If your baby is lively and alert and looks well and not obviously malnourished then be guided by that. Your baby is an individual and what he eats will be different to other babies.

He isn't consuming a lot of fats, especially if cheese is rejected, so perhaps try pasta with grated cheese to tempt him.

When you cut out the middle of the day breast feed, then a sippy cup of milk, either previously expressed by you or alternative may be good for him.

If you can avoid bottles altogether then it's better to go straight to a sippy cup.

I think you're doing fine.

PickleMobile Sat 05-Apr-14 07:23:39

I went back to work 3 days a week when dd was 8 months. She's 12 months now and is doing fine. Can a relative take him for a day to practice being away from you? That's what we did a few weeks before going back so she got used to me not bein there.

They soon realise what's going on and up their eating. Dd does drink lots of water though so I would keep trying with that.

PickleMobile Sat 05-Apr-14 07:24:04

*being

PickleMobile Sat 05-Apr-14 07:27:51

Oh and when I'm at work dd gets a morning breastfeed, a feed when I get home and then her regular feed at bedtime.

On the days I'm off I feed when she wants. I had to express at work for a few weeks until my supply adjusted and I now work 8.30-5pm without having to express. I do get slightly uncomfortable and wear breast pads but they're never wet even though sometimes it feels like milks coming out!

Also 10 or so months they can get a bit clingy is I wouldn't worry about that.

nappyrat Mon 07-Apr-14 23:00:14

Thank you for the replies x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now