One month old struggling with milk?

(3 Posts)
TheScience Fri 04-Apr-14 21:48:21

I've had some minor issues with DS2 from the start. His latch hasn't been great - not opening his mouth wide/getting a deep latch - and at 3 weeks old we had a moderate tongue tie cut. Feeding didn't miraculously improve and I still have to latch him on carefully and often have a few goes before we get a satisfactory latch. He also falls off a lot himself.

Increasingly though he seems to gulp and choke during feeds, he dribbles milk while feeding, vomits during or after feeds (not huge amounts), feeds noisily with smacking/clicking noises, and often I can hear milk has "gone down the wrong way" and he pulls off coughing and spluttering. He's also a lot windier than DS1 ever was.

Any ideas on what is going on and how I can improve things?

Mogz Sat 05-Apr-14 06:42:28

Have you had a beast feeding counsellor or lactation consultant observe a feed?
Is he choking and gulping through the whole feed or just the start? If the latter cold be you have a fast let down and he's struggling with that, you could try expressing off the first bit (save it in the freezer for if/when you want to introduce bottles).
Well done on persevering, hope you get it sorted and can relax and enjoy feeding your baby.

TheScience Sat 05-Apr-14 16:27:23

No, haven't had anyone observe a feed. The nearest bf group to me just has peer supporters but I could travel a bit further to find one with a bf counsellor after the holidays.

It's not at every feed now I think about it, and seems to be better at night lying down (although he does still posset/vomit/burp a lot at night). The choking and gulping can happen through out the feed though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now