Anyone had tongue tie and lip tie cut privately?

(12 Posts)
PassTheCremeEggs Wed 02-Apr-14 13:24:09

I have a 20 week old with only just diagnosed posterior tongue tie and upper lip tie. He's always struggled with trapped wind, has been quite screamy and has silent reflux which I imagine is exacerbated by the tie. Feeding has been ok up to now but is oddly now starting to get painful.

NHS referral is going to take 12 weeks (just ridiculous. I can't believe a service that's so pro-breastfeeding is so slow to sort out the problem that stops so many women bf)

So I'm looking at doing it privately. Baby won't take bottle and I suspect the pain is going to get worse.

I live in the north east - can anyone recommend anyone? Thank you!

PassTheCremeEggs Wed 02-Apr-14 14:07:42

Hopeful bump

PassTheCremeEggs Wed 02-Apr-14 18:30:11

Anyone?

Woodenheart Wed 02-Apr-14 18:33:49

I have seen 5 people now who 'think' my DC has lip-tie but they don't know where to send us!

2 of them were Breast Feeding Support Workers & they had never heard of lip tie, but once I showed & explained it, they agreed with me hmm

Ive been advised to ask my dentist.

PassTheCremeEggs Wed 02-Apr-14 18:52:18

As I understand it no one will cut a lip tie on the nhs and few will even do it privately so I've kind of ruled that out - just looking for someone to do the tongue tie now. Apparently the lip tie doesn't affect feeding but I don't believe this - DS can't curl lip out so it's curled slightly inwards while feeding equally imperfect latch.

gubbinsy Wed 02-Apr-14 18:53:04

We went to Cote Royd in Huddersfield - was great - my son was 15 weeks I think. He uses laser which helps with it not reattaching.

caramelgirl Wed 02-Apr-14 19:01:12

We used Ann Dobson. Think was £150? Maybe less. She came the next day, cut the 85% tie straight away. My SiL waited 2 weeks in hope of NHS before caving. I was not envious.
This was DC2 so I had asked amongst friends and looked in here and seen Ann recommended.
Found her a bit brusque and she didn't pick up that my latch was rubbish, but I am v thankful I had him snipped.
Contact details: 07980 017607
Good luck and well done on getting to 20 weeks

CityDweller Wed 02-Apr-14 20:02:13

I think lip ties need to be cut by a surgeon or dentist (rather than a lactation consultant, who can snip tongue ties). There's someone called Malcolm Levinkind (I think) in London. A dentist who cuts using laser. I can't recommend personally, but I've seen others mention him on these boards - try doing a search and seeing if he comes up...

AuntFlossy Fri 04-Apr-14 03:16:11

Had both lip and tongue tie done at Cote Royd Dental in Huddersfield. Great service but not cheap!

ArtFine Sat 05-Apr-14 14:32:29

We had ours done at cote royd too. I think it was £250.

byanothername Sun 06-Apr-14 08:08:19

I've just taken my 8-week-old to Malcolm Levenkind in Finchley, London, for laser. Involved a 4-hour trip by train and car! But was worth it. Expensive, luckily relatives clubbed together to help. It has really really been positive. I was struggling badly before

byanothername Sun 06-Apr-14 08:12:23

Just to add: my 8wo had previously had the ties cut with scissors by a doc aged 1 week. but it hadn't been fully successful. For us, laser was more precise for both ties (which had re_attached)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now