BF while pregnant, some questions...

(6 Posts)
mamapants Sun 30-Mar-14 08:39:45

Hi
Was just wondering about other peoples experiences. Am currently 8 mths pregnant and still feeding my 20mth old.
I had kind of thought he'd self wean by now as you hear that happens a lot but if anything he seems to be getting keener and more emotionally attached.
I had a few questions for people who have been in this scenario.
Feeding DS is really painful due to pregnancy is the pain likely to stop once baby has arrived?
Did your toddler increase demands for feeds once baby arrived?
Did your toddler show jealousy towards baby because of feeding?
Also when I feed DS it causes strong contractions, anyone else experienced this? Are they likely to get worse? And did you carry to term?
Thank you!!

TerrariaMum Sun 30-Mar-14 13:23:23

I can only give you my own experience and fwiw I am currently pg with DC 3 and feeding DD2 (11 mo).

I never had any pain, but it did feel really weird for a while when I was pg with DD2. But the weirdness went away a little right after DD2 was born. Actually, if you end up suffering from engorgement, toddler bfing can be the best painkiller ever. Again, this is my experience, no guarantees.

DD1 did not ask for more feeds when baby arrived, in fact, that was partly when she started to really tail off. I tandem fed both of them which for my DD1 averted some of the jealousy.

BFing does cause your uterus to contract, I forget why exactly, but I remember reading about it. It didn't really get worse at all for me. I just practiced my breathing smile.

As to your last question, DD2 was born at about 39 weeks so I did indeed carry to term.

Also, if it is painful, it's ok to tell your DS 'No, not now, that hurts' and try again later if you want to. I did that.

mamapants Sat 05-Apr-14 07:42:07

Thanks terraria interesting to hear from someone who has been there and done that.
Poor DS is getting terribly distressed when I ask him to stop due to pain and has increased his feeds over last couple of weeks. Am a bit worried he will want to go back to feeding full time which I don't fancy. Will just see what happens I guess.

I could have written your post, I am in exactly the same position but im only 6 months pregnant. Ds only feeds in the night but I am just worried I'm going to basically end up feeding both of them all night long as he is feeding like a newborn at the moment. I am convinced that it is because I have very little (if any) milk anymore and he just won't give up trying, it's been like this for about 3 months now. So much for the self weaning during pregnancy!I was really looking forward to that!

Pain for me went at about 5 months so can't help there, but maybe it will come back. Anyway, sorry I can't help but just wanted to say you're not alone smile

TerrariaMum Sat 05-Apr-14 08:27:26

If I recall correctly, you are only producing colostrum now so he may be increasing his feeds because colostrum isn't much for a 20 month old. I'd check the Kellymom website to be sure.

He may also be wanting the reassurance that he won't lose you. I found giving DD1 yoghurt helped with reducing feeds. I don't think he will want to feed full time when your new one arrives as the milk changes and is mainly for new one. DD1 self weaned when DD2 was about 3 months old.

The other thing that helped was DH taking DD1 out by himself a lot. It was great as DH and DD1 bonded a lot plus DH could only give solids anyway.

confuddledDOTcom Sat 05-Apr-14 08:48:06

Feeding DS is really painful due to pregnancy is the pain likely to stop once baby has arrived?
Yes, in fact it will help because when you don't have baby awake to deal with let down you just shove toddler on!

Did your toddler increase demands for feeds once baby arrived?
Probably a little, I think because my milk was flowing better she picked up on it.

Did your toddler show jealousy towards baby because of feeding?
No, in fact they bonded over it. I used to love watching them entangle their arms and legs and stroke each other.

Also when I feed DS it causes strong contractions, anyone else experienced this? Are they likely to get worse? And did you carry to term?
Yes it will cause contractions, no it won't do anything unless your body is ready, you only need to stop if your doctor puts you on pelvic rest and at this point that's not going to happen. I can't carry to term but that's irrelevant, however the two I got furthest on I was breastfeeding through pregnancy (34 and 35 compared to 29 and 31)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now