Can I make an extra hole in existing teats rather than buy new ones?

(7 Posts)
FelixFelix Thu 27-Mar-14 07:34:47

My dd is almost 15 weeks and is ff. We use Avent bottles with size 2 teats at the moment. In the past week or so, she's started sucking the life out of the teats as if he milk isn't flowing out fast enough. It's causing the teat to collapse which makes it harder for her to feed. I'm assuming this means we should go up to size 3.

I have about 8 bottles so buying 8 new teats will cost a small fortune! Is it possible to just poke an extra hole in the size 2 teats with a sterilised pin, or should I just suck it up and buy new ones? If so, what's the best way to do it? I don't want to ruin the ones we already have!

fluffyraggies Thu 27-Mar-14 09:00:56

I imagine most people will say you must buy new ones, but ...

i remember enlarging the holes in some teats when i was feeding DD2. She was a big and hungry baby and liked to feed fast. I used a large sterilised darning needle from my mum!

A second tiny hole with a normal needle could work too. Try one and see how it goes.

ThedementedPenguin Thu 27-Mar-14 09:07:40

You can do it, although by doing it you risk the teat splitting.

I never did it but I know a lot of people who did. What have you got to lose? If it works great if not you just buy new teats.

mrswishywashy Thu 27-Mar-14 09:32:07

You could do it although as above teat may split. What I've found works sometimes is loosening the top and tightening again and it causes an air lock. Or buy four teats its what I normally settle on.

FelixFelix Thu 27-Mar-14 09:39:14

DP said he will buy the teats but I'm for saving money if we can grin

I'll give it a go. I have four size 1 teats that I don't use so could give it a go on them and see what happens. Thank you!

ArtFine Mon 31-Mar-14 12:27:38

I tried it but it didn't work for me. shock

Beanymonster Mon 31-Mar-14 12:50:42

I used a fork to expand my dds teats..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now