EBF baby - getting baby to take the bottle....any tips?

(8 Posts)
Colchestergal Wed 26-Mar-14 17:25:33

16 week EBF baby. I need to go out occasionally and leave the baby with loving grandparents. I have started trying to get baby to accept the bottle.

So far I have tried....

Mam teats and bottles
Nuk latex teats
Tommee Tippee closer to nature slow flow and variflo teats
Expressing the milk for baby
Just giving 1-2 ounces each time and not pushed it too much
Tried everyday for three days, gently
Sitting him upright and stroking his tongue with the teat
Paying him fairly flat to mimic breastfeeding
Different times of the day
Getting my husband to feed him

All of these failed miserably. Any pearls of wisdom??

lanbro Wed 26-Mar-14 17:31:32

Don't want to dishearten you but I failed completely in getting dd2 to take a bottle! The best I could do was feed her up and hope for the best. She is weaning now so trying to train her with a sippy cup now. Watching this thread with interest!

Have you tried a straw?

jjohnston Wed 26-Mar-14 20:03:48

Ginformation Wed 26-Mar-14 22:13:15

Oh, me too! Was just coming on to start a similar thread.

DD is 9 weeks, we first tried a bottle of bm at 5 weeks which was rejected then left it a while before trying again (still adjusting to the whole toddler/baby combo). Have also tried TT CTN variflow and size 1 teats, nuk latex and medela calma with no success. A dummy was also refused when tried in desperation for colic at around 3 weeks. I am doomed aren't I?

Had anyone had success after persisting with a bottle for a breastfed baby?

Ginformation Wed 26-Mar-14 22:16:18

I might add that DS happily took to a bottle at a similar age, and easily swapped from breast to bottle with no probs. I naively assumed dd would be the same.

pancakesfortea Wed 26-Mar-14 22:16:19

Sorry, no. Nearly drove ourselves up the wall trying before just giving up. With number two we didn't bother but were able to leave him for a few hours full of milk and with a tub of fruit puree to tide him over. Could do that from about 5 months.

bsmirched Wed 26-Mar-14 22:25:58

Another one here who has failed, after trying loads of different bottles etc. I returned to work full time when DS2 was 20 wks. He just about accepted a sippy cup and even now at 7 mths that is all he will have apart from me. He just kind of turned his day upside down and fed loads at night.

leedy Wed 26-Mar-14 22:31:29

DS1 eventually took a bottle when in a position as unlike breastfeeding as possible (in a bouncy seat), and it had to be really warm. DS2 rejected any and all bottles but got the hang of a Doidy cup straight away at 4.5 months or so and then a sippy cup.

As it happened I hardly ever needed to leave milk with either of them until I went back to work as I could usually manage getting out for a swim or something during a nap or between feeds, or (once they'd stopped cluster feeding in the eve) go out for a drink after they went to bed. Also feeds spaced out a lot after 3 months and even more once they were on solids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now