Manual vs Electric

(6 Posts)
Supercalafraga Mon 24-Mar-14 11:02:27

Which have you gone for?

Any recommendations?

thank you smile

AnythingNotEverything Mon 24-Mar-14 11:07:08

I'll start! I have a medela swing. It seemed to be the best rated on every site I read.

It's electric, easy to use, easy to clean. It's not a closed system, so you're not advised to share it. I think you can buy replacement bits.

They're around £100. Sometimes there's a deal on.

I love it.

Have a good think about what you want it for though - is it for exclusively expressing? Then you'd need a double pump. Do you just want to be able to express off the excess when you're engorged? You might be better with a hand pump.

Some women just cannot get any milk out with a pump, regardless of how plentiful their supply is. I knew I could pump as I have done with previous babies. Not sure if I'd have been happy spending £100 on a pump not knowing if I'd be able to use it.

W2bpgn Mon 24-Mar-14 11:43:20

I started with a manual pump - tommee tippee pump and have now got an electric one - medela swing.
I had to pump due to latching issue. I found both good but when I was tired I wasn't very good at maintaining the suction or rhythm to pump with the manual which is why I went on to the electric pump.

leedy Mon 24-Mar-14 15:24:31

Electric here - I have an Ardo Calypso that I use every day in work to express milk for DS2. I like it because it's super efficient and all I really need to do is hold it in place while reading work emails (coughandrandominternetstuffcough) on my phone.

Supercalafraga Tue 25-Mar-14 10:23:02

Thanks for all your feedback! grin

PretzelPrincess Tue 25-Mar-14 21:39:13

I had a manual but it was useless so bought the medela swing. The manual would just take soooo long that it wasn't worth doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now