6.5week old is this colic?

(11 Posts)
littleraysofsunshine Mon 17-Mar-14 11:37:28

think ds had colic? His crying has been awful at certain times this week. Never experienced this before. Or reflux? He's just sooo gassy. Fussy on feeds sometimes too and has has episodes of big crying/screaming and nothing I do helps.

Amphisbaena Mon 17-Mar-14 11:42:36

From what I recall reflux does set in (if its going to) at about 6 weeks. With hindsight I suspect my DS had silent reflux too ie no vomiting but gas and pain..used to squirm and cry when feeding. Do you have access to a good midwife/HV for advice?

Amphisbaena Mon 17-Mar-14 11:43:03

Gah - meant that colic sets in at 6 weeks!

littleraysofsunshine Mon 17-Mar-14 12:14:33

I think I have over supply too and he isn't always latching well. So lots of air going in. Clicking and I can hear the pockets of wind going down.

Dp had infant lactose intolerance, would this be genetic?

He's a happy boy most of the time but feeding issue are making him unhappy. I never had these issues with my girls and fed for 15m with them. Had pain with them, but not the gassy, bad crying spells. He is still small but I'm just not sure what's up? I feel shitty as it's my third baby in 3.5yrs you'd think I'd know hmm

Amphisbaena Mon 17-Mar-14 12:28:41

They are all different though, just to confuse us! I guess lactose intolereance could be genetic...I know someone who had 2 out of her 4 DCs suffer from it really badly, but im no expert here.

Try a breast feeding support group or clinic? Im sure they will have the experience to know what the issue is. Good luck with it.

mawbroon Mon 17-Mar-14 13:55:34

You need someone who knows what they are doing to rule out or confirm tongue tie.

The problems you describe are very common in tongue tied babies.

littleraysofsunshine Mon 17-Mar-14 15:11:39

Can a tongue tie baby take a dummy?

mawbroon Mon 17-Mar-14 15:12:33

Some can, some can't.

Shellywelly1973 Mon 17-Mar-14 16:40:46

Yes. My ds had tongue tie & he sucked a dummy.

I would try a breast feeding support group.

You could try the gp & HV too.

josephine1986 Mon 17-Mar-14 19:33:12

Other possibility is a reaction to something in your diet? Typically cows milk / soya? My dd was the same, her crying spells would culminate in a big explosive poo, typically green and mucousy. Cut dairy and soy out of my diet and she's improved massively, except when I slip up accidentally...

sittingatmydesk Mon 17-Mar-14 19:39:02

Both of my boys were very windy between 6-9 weeks. My nephew is currently the same. I read that it was to do with their guts maturing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now