Won't take a bottle, need to go back to work, any tips?

(11 Posts)
OhGood Mon 17-Mar-14 11:10:09

Little blighter DS 8.5 mo starting to worry me a bit, as firmly refusing my clearly ridiculous offers of bottle. I have to get him started tho, as I have to go back to work in about a month.

Has previously taken bottles, though not for a while.

Have tried offering EBM in bottle but he bats it away loftily and calls for the breast.

Any tips or ideas about what I might try?

ilovepowerhoop Mon 17-Mar-14 11:19:39

try a lidded cup maybe?

outtheothersidefinally Mon 17-Mar-14 11:23:10

The only ti

outtheothersidefinally Mon 17-Mar-14 11:23:40

Tip is time! He will! Either a bottle or a beaker.

musicmaiden Mon 17-Mar-14 15:21:47

As you know, I'm in this situ too with DS2, but DS1 did eventually choose the cheap Tommee Tippee free flow cup, after I'd spent a fortune on bottles! Worth a try. Do you want to stop altogether or just ensure he gets enough at childcare place?

leedy Mon 17-Mar-14 18:31:30

Cup, deffo. Bottle refusenik DS2 got the hang of an open Doidy cup straight away and then moved on to a soft spout sippy.

CityDweller Mon 17-Mar-14 20:40:27

What does he drink water out of at mealtimes? Whatever that is, just give him his milk in the same receptacle. DD refused bottles and we had success with a Doidy cup, and then a sippy cup.

OhGood Mon 17-Mar-14 20:48:25

OK so I clearly need to let go of the bottle idea. Sort of have it in my head that he needs a bottle (DD had bottle for AGES.)

music he needs to have 2 feeds at nursery - I'm quite keen to start doing the rest.

Trying cup tomorrow, will get back to you. <can the solution possibly be that easy??>

Thanks all.

musicmaiden Mon 17-Mar-14 22:21:23

The cup might not be an instant solution but he might give it a go if he drinks from one already for water. And I am guessing nursery will have seen it all before and have strategies if you have no joy. He might well drink there anyway, just to spite your previous efforts.

'Bats it away loftily and calls for the breast' made me laugh heartily... I clearly have a sense of humour fail about my similar situation, so bravo. grin grin

moonmrs Tue 18-Mar-14 14:59:21

My ds is much happier taking a bottle if he has total control - we lie him down on the floor/sofa or wherever's convenient and he has handles on his bottle so he just does it himself. If we watch him he stops, so you have to pretend to be doing something else.... He's mainly breastfed, but am going back to work very soon so we had to do something! He's 6 months old. Might be worth a try?

OhGood Tue 01-Apr-14 17:30:37

So in case anyone is searching - what worked for us was:

Bottle (after all!)
With size 2 flow (size 3 or 6 months + was too fast for him)

And he first went for it when he was exhausted and grumpy and keen to get to bed - so the last feed before bed. (Previously was trying when he was awake and happy.)

THANK GOD for that.

Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now