biting

(8 Posts)
sleepyfish1 Sun 16-Mar-14 20:33:11

my ds is 20 weeks and has had 2 teeth for 5-6 weeks already. I always said I would bf until he bit me. Well, he is now biting me an average of twice a day, with the worst day last week he bit me 7 times. It hurts! He has always had a bottle at bedtime so I know he would take it if I switched to ff, but bf is easier, quicker and so much cheaper, that I just don't know what to do! Has anyone else got an early teether or any advice for me? Please?!

Nocomet Sun 16-Mar-14 20:41:19

Firm No! Finger in corner of mouth to break latch. no eye contact blink child unceremoniously on the floor.

Just before child starts to cry pick them up and carry on feeding.

Most DCs very quickly get the message, bitting means withdrawal of nice warm cuddly feed.

Nocomet Sun 16-Mar-14 20:42:08

Plonk the child on the floor

ErynsMummy1 Sun 16-Mar-14 21:45:36

My DD bites too, although no teeth at present, I think she is teething as seems to enjoy biting down on teether a etc. I give a strong "no" when she bites, and take her off my boob. Think it's my tone of voice she dislikes and doesn't like the reaction it has. Good luck with it all.

Contemplates Sun 16-Mar-14 22:06:05

My baby bit me at about 7/8 months old, and I yelped a second, then said a firm "no!". He looked surprised but then began to reuse to feed off me.

Around that same one he had an ear infection and so feeds were probably painful for him (despite using calpol first). Luckily I had been combined feeding and could give him expressed milk to keep up my supply. After a desperate month of him being on a nursing strike I used medela nipple shields to start the feed then removed them, and he took to them immediately with no biting at all.

By the 3rd nipple shield feed I could get him to latch without the shield and without biting. Job done!

I had researched both how to deal with biting and how to deal with nursing strike, both topics had a theme with advice against using a nipple shield to prevent biting or solve nursing strike. I was desperate so tried it as a last resort and am so thankful I did because my boy is not text-book (as so many aren't) and for him it worked a dream!

sleepyfish1 Sun 16-Mar-14 23:42:55

thank you. I should've said that I do take him off and firmly say no, but he just giggles! it's too cute but I really try to keep a straight face and continue being firm.

Toizzy Mon 17-Mar-14 07:21:31

When i say no mine giggles as well. However he usually starts biting when he's had enough and i can tell it's about to happen because he's agitated, latching on/off, looking around.So i just end the feed by saying no at a bite and plonking him down.If he had really finished he just starts playing but otherwise he starts moaning so i put him back on and he feeds without biting until the end.

Contemplates Mon 17-Mar-14 10:04:55

Oh you see, mine bit at the start, so maybe a bit different

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now