3 month old ebf ds-feeding strike?

(9 Posts)
LooeyLou Sun 16-Mar-14 17:30:00

My 3 month old ebf ds is suddenly becoming very 'fussy' when feeding. He used to feed for a good 30 minutes on each side and fed well. In the last week he has started this pattern:
-cries to be fed
-latches on fine
-feeds for about 5 minutes
-then pulls off buries his face in my breast moaning, then pushes himself away and cries

If I then put him back on he does the same. He will sometimes take the other breast but its almost like he's gone on a feeding strike. He is chewing his fists a lot and is a lot more dribbly can they be teething this early? If so does this affect feeding?

I tried giving him formula to see if it was a problem with my milk but he wasn't really interested in that either. We co sleep and he does seem to be feeding normally then. I'm fairly sure it's not colic, am at a bit of a loss and would appreciate any help and advice?

KikiShack Sun 16-Mar-14 17:33:46

Could it be that DS has become a more efficient feeder and is full after 5 mins? I noticed a reduction in the amount of time DD feeds at a similar age, maybe closer to 4 months though.
If you don't think it's this then I don't have any more ideas, sorry.

Trooperslane Sun 16-Mar-14 17:39:32

What Kiki said.

Have you looked at kellymom?

Trooperslane Sun 16-Mar-14 17:40:06

And yes, teething very likely.

It goes on for aaaages looking at you dd

LooeyLou Sun 16-Mar-14 17:46:29

Thanks for your replies I did consider him being more efficient but why would he cry?

I'll take a look at that site thank you smile

Bumbershoot Sun 16-Mar-14 17:56:50

Mine does this. Watching with interest! She's definitely not teething though. She has reflux but I don't think it's that. Could it be wind? Is he maybe eating faster than previously?

LooeyLou Sun 16-Mar-14 18:19:21

Glad it's not just me I find it so frustrating! He used to love feeding!

LooeyLou Sun 16-Mar-14 21:18:48

Did think of wind but not sure

KikiShack Sun 16-Mar-14 21:43:26

My DD cries when I try and force her to eat more after she's finished. I think she finds it boring being made to eat when she is full. Babies are too confusing for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now