When did you stop bf? My 10.5 MO still feeds at night and am wanting to stop by 12months

(10 Posts)
CareerGirl01 Sat 15-Mar-14 17:28:26

Thing is I'm freelance and even if I do decide to go back to full time work it's going to be a few weeks. What did other MN's do?

CareerGirl01 Sat 15-Mar-14 17:29:19

She is DD2 by the way.dd1 was fed for just 2 weeks - had problems with post CS complications.

TwoThreeFourSix Sat 15-Mar-14 17:38:09

I stopped night feeds at 13 months. Totally stopped at 2.1 years. The last year was just a ten minute feed in the evening when I got home from work. Think DS liked the closeness after a day apart.

From 6 months DS had formula in the day and BF morning and night. We stopped the night feed by upping his daytime milk intake for 2 weeks then went cold turkey only offering water at night and holding him upright when he cried in the night so he wasnt in a feeding position. Worked easily to my surprise.

leedy Sat 15-Mar-14 17:41:45

Probably not very helpful but 2.5 with DS1 and still going strong at 16 months with DS2, both while full time working.

If you do want to drop night feeds (either first as part of full weaning or if you want to continue feeding morning and evening), we found this approach v good with DS1: http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

leedy Sat 15-Mar-14 17:42:04

And now with actual link: drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

MyNameIsSuz Sat 15-Mar-14 17:47:22

I stopped totally at 14 months. By the time I went back to work at almost 13 months he was just having a bedtime feed and an occasional night feed if he woke up, and my goal was to stop by mid-December, 14 months, so I could properly go to all the Christmas parties!

We gradually cut down the time until it was just a couple of minutes on each side and I stopped putting him straight down after, we'd have a story first. I was really worried about the night feeds as I didn't know how else I'd settle him! Then at the start of December he was ill with hand foot and mouth and just didn't want it, I guess because his mouth was sore. He never fed again! That first night was very screamy, as he was ill, but I had no choice but to stay with him rubbing his back and rocking etc, for hours and hours. He's been fine ever since! I think I'd worried about it more than I needed to - if he can't feed, he'll figure out another way to settle.

CareerGirl01 Sat 15-Mar-14 17:55:53

leedy it's really so I can get sleep. Think I may need to start giving more FF during the day. * Two* like idea of a short feed once a day after 12 months. And suZ have been sneaking odd glass of wine since she was 6 months.

leedy Sat 15-Mar-14 19:29:38

Oh God, I wouldn't have fed either of mine for as long without the odd glass of wine. Or gin.

Definitely try night weaning, I ended up feeding DS1 morning and evening for a year after I stopped night feeds, it really made a huge difference to how easy BF was. DS2 is actually a much better sleeper and is currently sleeping through (or maybe waking up once), so quite happy to keep his day feeds for now.

Ragwort Sat 15-Mar-14 19:32:48

I stopped breast feeding around 8 months (totally, I didn't want to just breast feed at night and not in the day confused). My DS went on to cups immediately so no bottles, could that be an option?

CareerGirl01 Sun 16-Mar-14 12:59:57

leedy thanks forthat link x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now