Not quite sure how much more of this I can take ...

(9 Posts)
yadiyadiya Sat 15-Mar-14 06:52:05

Ds is 14 weeks old, born 5 weeks premature. For the first 5 weeks of his life, he fed every 2 - 2.5 hours day and night. When he reached his due date, he started to act like a 'normal' newborn that I knew. He started to cluster feed each evening and started sleeping longer stretches at night.
Sleep has got progressively worse, we are now at the point were he won't sleep in the day unless he is in the sling or on the move in the car. He feeds constantly, every half an hour through the day. I am utterly exhausted. I feel like I never put him down. We live in south east Asia so I know he is going to feed more than 'normal' but this is too much to contend with.
Formula is a very last resort as is it not always readily available and I have no idea where it has come from or what is in it.
Not quite sure what I am asking for, sorry.

MigGril Sat 15-Mar-14 07:20:39

Hi it does sound like your having a hard time. would it maybe help to concentrate on the positives. If he's gaining weight well and having some happy and content time, your doing a fan job.
You comment on a normal newborn, there isn't really any such thing. Some will feed constantly and others will go longer between feeds.
Sounds like your being wonderfully responsive to his needs, some babies especially early on do need that constant contact.
How are you sleeping, you say formula could be tricky but at this age he could go a couple of hours without a feed. if your partner could get up after his morning feed and give you a bit more rest.
Or a break sometime in the day if he's around sometime. Just so you can get a bit of a break every now and again. Just so you can recharge your batteries a bit.

rosiedays Sat 15-Mar-14 08:43:29

Hi wherere in SEA are you? I completely your reluctance to use formula. Maybe you could express and get partner/ friend to do a couple of hours for you while you get some sleep. It's amazing how just a couple of hours recharges you.
I know it's tough but hang on in there. This too shall pass and it will get easer. Sounds a bit like a growth spurt to me.
Make sure you're eating and drinking well, are you co sleeping?
I agree no such thing as' ' normal' all babies are different and in hot climate/ air con your baby will need extra fluid. Maybe if you think of it as giving him a little drinkon a feed wiwill help. I've just got back from Egypt (dd was 6 months when we went and there for 6 weeks) and all babies there are offered water very fround upon here in UK but your not here! !!
Do you know any local mums and local baby care normals???
Just to say, i wish i was still in Asia. It's a beautiful place. Xx

rosiedays Sat 15-Mar-14 08:45:54

A little drink rather than a feed sorry

yadiyadiya Sat 15-Mar-14 23:12:42

The nights are ok. He finally conks out at around 9 ish after cluster feeding all evening, and wakes 3 or 4 times in a 12 hour period, last night was not so good, took ages to settle after feeds.
I just feel so trapped. I wake up scared, nervous, anxious about what the day ahead is going to be like. I am scared that one day he won't settle in the sling and I will have an inconsolable baby on my hands. He is so fractious all the time, never appears content, unless he has had a good sleep in the sling/car.
We live in Borneo. It is so beautiful here, but so very hot. I have to drink so much water to keep myself hydrated. I go to bed on a night literally exhausted. I just hope it will pass soon as I can't take much more.

MigGril Sun 16-Mar-14 09:00:03

sounds like you could do with some more support. I'm not sure about where you are but if your look on the LLL website there maybe some breastfeeding support in your country they are a international support organisation and are world wide.

He does sound like an unsettled baby. Are you getting support from your partner and any breaks at all? I really think it could help you just to get a couple of hours to yourself and your baby would be fine in that time.

Some babies can be fussy like this, the temperature mite nut be helping though. Is he sick at all?

MigGril Sun 16-Mar-14 09:04:20

Do you have support like HV where you are, you could be suffering a bit of postnatal anxiety to its very common. More so then postnatal depression. Maybe have a read up about it to see if it fits how your feeling. obviously not one can diagnose you on an internet forum, but seeking some more support for you in rl I think is important right now. As you sound like your have a tough time.

rosiedays Sun 16-Mar-14 10:17:05

Oh love, you're doing great. smile believe in yourself, deep breath. You can do this. flowers
I had a huge panic in Egypt about the baby, a head Full of what if"s and a wise mner advised i write down all with my 'plan"s. I kknew where all the places i might need were and how to get to them. Had all contact numbers and a grab bag packed. Doing this lifted a huge worry allowing me to concentrate on baby.
He will have good days and bad days, so will you. Your body is adjusting too.
Is it tummy pain? Teething? Over tired? Has he had a good check over for things like Tonge tie, does he have colic symptoms? Has he always been like this or is it new?
Where are you from? And how/why are you in Borneo? envy you sound a bit home sick and lonely. Please as migGirl says, you could have a little postnatal anxiety. Is there anyone you can talk to about this?
Hope today is a better day. Xx

stargirl1701 Sun 16-Mar-14 11:13:19

Could it be silent reflux?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now