Tips for winding down from expressing full time?

(4 Posts)
Snozwanger Thu 13-Mar-14 15:37:54

Hi there. I've been expressing full time now for 11 weeks (c-section baby with jaundice/never latched). I've reached the end of the expressing road now and have over the past week halved my pumping time in order to reduce my supply so I can switch baby to formula. So far I've dropped a pumping session anyway as I struggled to fit it in the evening. I now pump 7 mins each side instead of 15, 4 times a day (one at night). It's been exactly a week so wondering whether to drop the night pump tonight...

Does anyone have any experience of this and any tips to wind down completely? I really don't want to risk getting mastitis.

TheScience Thu 13-Mar-14 15:44:18

I'd treat it the same as dropping direct feeds and drop one session every 3-7 days.

Vixjane Thu 13-Mar-14 16:04:30

Hi, i did this 3 weeks ago at 12 weeks. First of all, well done, it's a hard road. What i did was to increase the time between pumping sessions, so i went from 3 hourly to 4 hourly then 5 hourly then i dropped the night feed then increased the time further between day pumps and the lastfew days i only expressed a couple of times to relieve engorgement. Once the night pump went it all dropped off quite quickly. I had to knead a few lumps in the shower but nothingmajor. Hth x

Snozwanger Fri 14-Mar-14 18:47:36

Thanks for your advice Vixjane. It's nice to hear from someone in a similar position as I haven't spoken to anyone who's solely expressed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now