Anti anxiety medication and bf?

(5 Posts)
Davinadivine Thu 13-Mar-14 13:25:12

I was taking Valium before pregnancy but I've been told it's not suitable when bf.
GP is checking meds suitable for bf but I'm worried about delaying too long in taking them.

leedy Thu 13-Mar-14 13:30:17

Yeah, I don't think anything in that drug family is suitable. You might get some relief from an appropriate anti-depressant instead - I had terrible anxiety and insomnia as PND symptoms with DS1 and they pretty much went away with Lustral/sertraline (which is BF safe).

Davinadivine Thu 13-Mar-14 14:16:35

Thanks leedy. I'm scared to take anything at all as the meds I was on when bf last time have now been found to have cross over into milk.
I'll mention the lustral and see what gp says.

leedy Thu 13-Mar-14 14:44:51

Good luck! The maternity hospital mental health team who prescribed it to me were extremely reassuring about its safety in BF, it's got the lowest milk transfer of all the SSRIs.

ALittleFaith Fri 14-Mar-14 08:59:14

I've been on setraline since DD was about 5 months (now 11 months). I've got a history of anxiety and after having her it was overwhelming. I've taken other drugs before but I think setraline is very good. Mild nausea initially which settled quickly but no other side effects. DD has been fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now