Can I feed too much ?

(11 Posts)
WorthMoreThanThat Tue 11-Mar-14 16:26:41

Nearly 7month old bf baby, can I overfeed him!? Do i need to stop "demand feeding" when I know he doesn't really need it!?

Reiltin Tue 11-Mar-14 16:36:33

At that age, baby should've getting into solids so you should be decreasing milk feeds. Mine has just turned 9months and we 're at 4 feeds a day, maybe going down to 3 shortly. Good luck!

5madthings Tue 11-Mar-14 16:39:15

No you can't overseer bfed baby and no yous shouldn't be cutting down on bfeeds!

Most nutrition comes from milk for first twelve myths.

Baby will naturally cut down on milk as they get older, but bfeeding is about more than just food anyway.

Absolutely fine to continue to feed on demand.

surfingbabies Tue 11-Mar-14 16:41:14

My now 14 months old DD is a demand feeder and she can still feed 4/6 times a day if I let her........she eats solids but I did baby led weaning at about 9 months. She eats well and drinks water out of a cup, if she starts fussing and wants a feed and I think she doesn't need one then I just read to her or today we went to the park to take her mind off it....most of the time it's for comfort wink

surfingbabies Tue 11-Mar-14 16:42:36

Sorry forgot to add.......no you can't overfeed her! Sleep deprived.......sad

Eletheomel Tue 11-Mar-14 19:58:29

No, you can't overfeed her. On top of which the length of time or the frequency of feeds has no bearing on how much milk she's taking at each one (some babies feed twice a day and take just as much milk in those two feeds as other babies who feed every two hours).

DS1 was a proper milk monster, loved his milk and was slow to really like solids (liked tasting but not so much of the swallowing) I wouldn't think of restricting her milk feeds until after she's a year old (and even then, you don't really need to if your'e still bfeeding as she'll reduce them herself).

For info, DS1 was born on 50th centile (full term) and was on 99th centile for weight by 5 months and settled down to 91st centile by a year old - I was forever getting comments from MIL and FIL about how I surely can't be feeding him again, and surely he can't still be hungry....

And don't forget, babies will suckle for comfort too :-)

WorthMoreThanThat Wed 12-Mar-14 08:22:51

Thanks all :-) I cheat and use a boob for sleep / comfort just didn't want to be doing the wrong thing by letting him have as often as suits us!

eagle2010 Wed 12-Mar-14 16:41:16

Using boob for comfort is not a cheat! All dummies are modelled on the original pacifier - the boob smile)))

WorthMoreThanThat Wed 12-Mar-14 21:34:47

Just feels like a cheat, like it's the lazy option but it's oh so easy :-) i keep wondering how people manage without it!

Eletheomel Wed 12-Mar-14 21:54:05

I know what you mean, DS2 has days where he doesn't fall asleep on the boob and I'm like - 'well, how am I meant to get you to sleep now?? grin

ElBombero Wed 12-Mar-14 21:59:50

My DS is same age, he has a bottle at bedtime of formula but I feed on demand for a while yet as I just love BF, the closeness, the comfort, the convenience... He's my last baby too and I think it will be a good while before I stop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now