Thrush agony. What can I do about it?

(25 Posts)
HumphreyCobbler Tue 11-Mar-14 09:11:44

It is def thrush in one nipple, there is a crack which dries yellow and I have the classic thrush pain, accompanied by vasospasms in generous helpings post feeding.

It is seriously getting me down now. I am applying daktarin with little effect. I am taking a probiotic. I would like to get prescribed fluconazole but on the NHS website it says unsuitable for breastfeeding. I am also sure that the GP will just tell me that it is not thrush/can't be treated/is poor latch/something else completely random as their track record on breastfeeding help is not good and I don't feel able to have another battle with them when I don't know exactly what I want them to do.

I feel a bit trapped sad The pain is excruciating. I have resorted to painkillers but they don't make that much difference.

UnicornCrisps Tue 11-Mar-14 09:15:56

Is the baby being treated? They will need drops for their tongue otherwise you'll pass it back and forth

HumphreyCobbler Tue 11-Mar-14 09:19:31

I am using daktarin on the baby too.

Perhaps I had better brave the doctor. I don't know why I am being so pathetic about it, maybe because I don't have a clear idea of what I want them to do?

HumphreyCobbler Tue 11-Mar-14 09:20:52

sorry, am repeating myself. <knackered>

AnythingNotEverything Tue 11-Mar-14 09:22:20

I think you want them to support you to continue to breastfeed.

Go see your GP. Plenty of people have thrush, get it cleared up, and continue to feed.

The breastfeeding network has a drugs helpline where thy can advise what you can take while bf.

HumphreyCobbler Tue 11-Mar-14 09:24:27

Thanks you - that is what I need. Information on what drug I want. Then I can ask for it.

HumphreyCobbler Tue 11-Mar-14 09:30:06

Ok, after reading that page it appears that if I have thrush it will present in BOTH nipples or it is not thrush. Also the pain is terrible on latching whereas the BFN info says the pain will appear post latching.

The latch is good, there is not a problem there. I thought I had this taped confused

I have not read this anywhere else, but it could mean that the yellow stuff indicates an infection rather than thrush.

HumphreyCobbler Tue 11-Mar-14 09:36:02

I feel the need to clarify my wibbles about the doctor. If I don't go and ASK for something specific they will tell me there is nothing to be done. I had tell them to give me antibiotics for mastitis with my last baby, I was told that tongue tie was NOT affecting breastfeeding with this one, they refused me treatment for HG until I proved there was something they could give me.....

Amiawake Tue 11-Mar-14 09:42:22

I know your pain! I lasted a week before I went to see my gp, mainly because I'd read a lot of guff online about how it would clear up by itself and that I should bathe my nipple in vinegar.
You don't need to suffer, see your gp. I was prescribed fluconazole and it was brilliant. The searing pain vanished after two days. I also washed my nipple with cool water after each feed and changed breast pads a couple of times a day.
I'm still bfing.
Good luck and I hope it clears soon.

Amiawake Tue 11-Mar-14 09:44:51

Just seen an earlier post by you, it doesn't have to be in both nipples. Mine wasn't. Also Ds didn't have it in his mouth, but I definitely had it in one nipple!

milkjetmum Tue 11-Mar-14 09:52:37

definitely get fluconazole. For me, I blamed thrush on wearing damp breastpads, I am very leaky. Now I change them v often to avoid thrush and give my boobs fresh air at home

HumphreyCobbler Tue 11-Mar-14 10:10:12

Brilliant. I will ask for it.

Thanks everyone.

I am five months in, breastfeeding my third child. This one has been the toughest by far!

HumphreyCobbler Tue 11-Mar-14 18:40:02

I went to the doctor, saw a very nice GP who told me that Daktarin was the only thing she could give me. I suspected this would happen, but thanks to you all I was able to tentatively mention flucanozole, she looked up if it was ok for breastfeeding and happily prescribed it for me. She then offered me lots of sympathy, which was appreciated.

Amiawake Tue 11-Mar-14 20:07:28

Oh good! Really glad you got what you wanted, hope your nipples recover quickly!

HumphreyCobbler Tue 11-Mar-14 20:51:28

Thanks. smile

Jims Tue 11-Mar-14 21:03:25

Just for info, as I saw you've got fluconazole, I always found Daktarin gold cream more useful than Daktarin. It's a different active ingredient and is also fine for breast feeding. I had it much worse on one side than the other (DS2 was on preventative antibiotics for 6 months) and found the GPs very sceptical. They did give me what I asked for though so I can't fault them in that respect. After spending hours wondering whether I was just making it up, I saw a fab lady, Sally Inch, at the JR breastfeeding clinic in Oxford and showed her a picture of my lovely rash which appeared in full force at night. She said it looked like classic thrush and reassured me in a really helpful way.

But best of luck with the fluconazole.

noshthis Wed 12-Mar-14 10:18:38

fluconazole was the only thing that worked for me and it took me ages and many chats with LC before I could get it. Make sure you get a 10 day course of it!

HumphreyCobbler Wed 12-Mar-14 10:23:23

Ah I have a seven day course. Will phone up. Thanks Jims and noshthis.

noshthis Thu 13-Mar-14 11:16:51

If that doesnt work you can get gentian violet from amazon smile

www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-UGV

This was what all the LCs were telling me about then telling me you cant get it in the UK! Well you can get it online. It takes a while to get to you as it comes from the states. I had just received mine when the thrush finally cleared up. I did a dose anyway smile just to be sure. Its messy but people swear by it.

www.amazon.co.uk/GENTIAN-VIOLET-SOL-1%25-HUM/dp/B000QTG3ME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394709377&sr=8-1&keywords=gentian+violet

HumphreyCobbler Thu 13-Mar-14 16:35:48

I think the flucanozole started to work, along with lanisoh for the cracked bit <ouch> but there is a patch of mastitis appeared now. You couldn't make it up I may be totally fed up with breastfeeding right now

Don't think I want to add an antibiotic into the mix right now so am just trying to feed through it.

HumphreyCobbler Thu 13-Mar-14 16:36:29

I did have one pain free feed in between though. smile

Amiawake Fri 14-Mar-14 07:48:13

Try a warm/not too hot flannel on the mastitis patch and massage. Also express a little bit in between feeds to relieve pressure!
Don't give up!!

HumphreyCobbler Fri 14-Mar-14 13:58:41

I wont!

It is a bit better today thanks

Amiawake Sun 16-Mar-14 20:02:00

Hope you're feeling much better now humphrey!

HumphreyCobbler Sun 16-Mar-14 20:34:33

Thanks, I am smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now