Breastfeeding... Argh!

(7 Posts)
Macocious Mon 10-Mar-14 19:03:50

I'm after some encouragement I think... My DS is 6.5 months old and EBF. For a couple of months now he has been quite difficult to feed. He is very easily distracted and will only take what seems to be the bare minimum when we're out of the house. In fact he gets very angry when I try to feed him even though he seems to me to be hungry. Because of this I worry about going out and feel a bit of a prisoner in my own home. Today has been a rubbish day of feeding even at home... Two minutes here and there. I'd really like some more predictably. Would formula feeding give me this? He doesn't take a bottle but I could try from a sippy cup.
Sorry for the rant. Just feeling a bit down as thought breastfeeding was supposed to get easier not harder.

rosiedays Mon 10-Mar-14 19:34:23

No no No grin it's a faze they grow through. bottle feeding will just give you extra work! There is another thread almost the same from a bottle feeding mum smile if he's not losing weight and seems healthy he's fine. Have you started weaning? He may have just had a growth spurt and is leveling off. Your milk will change too , he's growing up smile
Out and about I take an Ella kitchen fruit smoothy pouch and she sucks it straight from the packet. ..

Macocious Fri 02-May-14 11:08:38

Quick update - so he's now 8 months and things are still the same. He's not interested in solids so I can't use those as a means to fill him up when we're out. Nursing at home is not too bad at the minute but I can't go out for any length of time because he gets hungry and agitated and won't feed even if I try taking him to a quiet place like the toilets (yuck!). This basically means I am still trapped at home most of the time and I'd really like to be enjoying the last couple of months of my maternity leave. Does anyone have any ideas that might help?? I was hoping this phase would have passed by now.

Macocious Sat 03-May-14 18:31:58

Sitting here in tears after another bad day. If I knew how to give up breastfeeding him I would

tiktok Sat 03-May-14 18:46:44

Macocious sad sad

Can you give one of the bf lines a call?

Babies beyond newborn often do take a very short time to feed. Persisting in trying to feed when he doesn't want it will make him cross and stressed. It's also normal for them to be distracted when feeding away from home.

But telling you 'it's normal' is not going to help you. You need some strategies to cope with it and enjoy it. That's why I suggest calling the lines and speaking to someone in a real dialogue.

Hope you get help.

Sunflower1985 Sat 03-May-14 18:48:49

I'm sorry you're having a tough time.
When out and about I feed my 9mo ds in his baby carrier by hoiking my boob up to him. It helps with the distractibility. My ds is teething down and using my nipples as a chew toy, whipping his head round at every noise. But the carrier limits this.
Would a picnic with blanket and feed him lying down work? The weather is getting there and people would just think you're having a nap.
How is he with a sippy cup for water?
Are there any foods he likes?

Macocious Sat 03-May-14 18:51:24

I suppose I wouldn't worry so much if his weight gain was good but it's quite slow. I would love for us to be able to go out for the day and enjoy ourselves but I can't be away from home for more than three hours or so as he gets really whingy if he's not fed. Four months of this and I'm starting to lose my patience big time. I went to a breastfeeding group a few weeks ago but they didn't really have any ideas to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now