Night weaning and continuing to bf?

(7 Posts)
JustLetMeSleep Mon 10-Mar-14 07:26:33

Is it possible? DD2 still likes to be bf but wakes every 3 hours at night. She gets furious if I try to calm her without feeding, and it's over an hour even for DH to do it (which he can't do regularly because of work).

She has slept through sometimes, so she can do it. Last night she had a cup of formula after bath and fell asleep in the cot, I bf at 10, she woke at 1 and screamed for an hour before DH got her back to sleep. Slept until 7.

I feel bad about weaning her conpletely because she clearly doesn't want to be. I have weaned her in the day already as am going back to work soon and leave early in the morning, back about 5.

Has anyone successfully night weaned but carried on one or two feeds a day? I was thinking about 5pm, which could be a ff if I'm not around, and maybe breakfast but ff on my working days. Or will this continue to make it difficult for me to settle her at night, and am I better just to wean completely?

TamerB Mon 10-Mar-14 07:33:29

You don't give her age. I just gave water at night once they got to about 9 months.

outtheothersidefinally Mon 10-Mar-14 07:33:31

How old is DD?
It's hard thinking of your baby's needs and how to work that around work when you have to go back. Sounds like you're doing your best!
Don't worry - your boobs adjust to you and baby. I bf until DD stopped herself at 18mo. I was working from 8mo and by then she was on a morning, 5ish and bedtime bf - didn't take to bottle so waited for me. Eventually it was just the morning bf. There was more than enough milk. It's great you are trying to keep up bf when you go back to work and completely possible:-)

JustLetMeSleep Mon 10-Mar-14 09:06:28

Oops, sorry. She's 10 months, eats a lot during the day, I really feel she can go 10-6ish without milk. My worry is more about whether she will continue to be hard to settle at night as she'll know there's still milk. Tamer, did you find the nights got easier with water?

TamerB Mon 10-Mar-14 09:58:00

I got up at the first cry, a pat on the head and a whisper and water, all in the dark, and they were back to sleep. I can't say it would work for everyone and I don't think it works if you let them wake properly.

leedy Mon 10-Mar-14 11:21:22

I had no problem continuing feeding morning and evening after night weaning, though DS1 was a bit older, around 18/19 months - he'd basically gone through the 18 month growth/developmental spurt/hell and was ready for a change, I think. It involved a lot of daddy cuddles and a bit of squawking for a week or so and then he just started sleeping through consistently. Not sure if that would work for a much younger baby, though.

JustLetMeSleep Thu 13-Mar-14 12:36:26

Thank you all. We've done four nights and each one has been easier, and last night she slept 10-5, so she does seem to be getting used to me settling her without feeding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now