Newborn with blisters on tongue?

(11 Posts)
TheScience Sat 08-Mar-14 21:08:06

5 day old DS has what looks like a couple of white blisters on the end of his tongue. He has a tongue tie and the midwife thought it could possibly be related to that. Has anyone experienced this?

Erroroccurred Sat 08-Mar-14 21:10:05

It wouldn't be a usual complication of tt. Worth following up with a GP for a check, could be something else. Are you waiting for a snip?

TheScience Sat 08-Mar-14 21:12:07

Hopefully, but the midwife seemed less than enthusiastic as DS is gaining weight well. Might have to wait a couple of weeks.

Confitdecanard Sat 08-Mar-14 21:15:09

I'm not sure and others might have better advice but could it be thrush? Do you have any nipple/breast pain? Definitely worth getting checked with the GP.

Erroroccurred Sat 08-Mar-14 21:16:14

Weight gain is often ok initially it then can falter later when your supply gets less of a kick from hormones and relies on your baby's efficiency. Can leave you more prone to blockages/ mastitis too. The referral time should be 2weeks maximum, take a referral and you can always change your mind. Your mw, your hv, many baby cafés or IFA can all refer you on the fast track.

TheScience Sat 08-Mar-14 21:19:06

The clinic runs once a week and the mw thought I'd probably get an appointment the week after next due to the baby being ok.

I had considered thrush but this seems unlikely as DS hasn't had antibiotics or anything. I have nipple pain but from his poor latch.

GinGinGin Sat 08-Mar-14 21:19:19

White blisters can be a sign of Thrush and you will both need to be treated if so. Thrush can be caused by TT - ineffective latch can cause bleeding nipples/scabs, which are prime locations for Thrush to take hold. Have you been experiencing any pain or do you have violently pink nipples?

GinGinGin Sat 08-Mar-14 21:24:12

OP Thrush isn't as a result of ABs though - we all have the Candida bacteria in our bodies, but sometimes the right conditions allow it to thrive, hence Thrush

TheScience Sat 08-Mar-14 21:28:18

It must be very unusual for a newborn to get thrush though? I only have pain at the beginning/during feeds rather than after.

Erroroccurred Sat 08-Mar-14 22:02:41

It is pretty unusual - if it is thrush it will rapidly proliferate

TheScience Sun 09-Mar-14 08:57:06

This morning it is definitely looking less like a couple of blisters and more like thrush - several white spots on his tongue now. It doesn't seem to be causing him any discomfort though and I don't have it, so I might wait a few days and see if it clears up on it's own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now