Breastfeeders - did you use a dummy?

(36 Posts)
TheScience Sat 08-Mar-14 09:41:45

And if you did, how old was your baby when you introduced it?

Fuls Sat 08-Mar-14 10:28:28

Hi
I introduced a dummy at about 4 weeks as by then my milk was well established! My ds just loves sucking so it helped him not using me as a "dummy" and gave me a little free time. It never affected his latch and he is now 12 weeks old and putting weight on beautifully.

Nottsgirl2014 Sat 08-Mar-14 10:31:31

Yes, i did n never had any bad effect on him. Dummies help a lot. Good luck smile

Ellen996 Sat 08-Mar-14 10:55:04

I tried giving dd a dummy at 4 weeks as she had a constant need to suck, but she has so far never taken to them. ( despite me spending a lot of time holding it for her to try to get her used to it) Have tried avent and mam so far but she just spits them out. Good luck with your little one as I'm sure dummies do help some babies who love sucking :-) I'm now ordering a soothie dummy to see if she will take that type of teat.

dobedobedo Sat 08-Mar-14 10:58:46

I introduced one as soon as I got home from the hospital because I didn't know it was normal for a baby to bf all the livelong day! Luckily, it never affected latch, he was just useless at sucking the dummy, not the other way around. I had to hold it in his mouth, so may as well have fed him! He never used it over night or anything.
He refused it when he was 5/6 months old and that was it.

chattychattyboomba Sat 08-Mar-14 11:08:43

Dummy from day 1, b-fd although had latching issues which I think was more down to my flat nips/ engorged boobs. Used a nipple guard to get past this but then she never liked boob without the guard- so I used the guard for 6 blinking months. Dummy was helpful though as she would fall asleep not actually feeding but just sucking for comfort.

SirChenjin Sat 08-Mar-14 11:11:12

No, never did. Tried them a couple of times, but they all just spat them out thankfully. Dummies are really not great for dental development.

EyelinerQueen Sat 08-Mar-14 11:13:30

No. DD wouldn't entertain a dummy. She just spat it straight out. I only tried a few times then gave up.

I'm glad really as I don't think they're a good thing.

I don't plan to try one with this DC (presuming BFing is as easy as last time).

BertieBotts Sat 08-Mar-14 11:22:01

Yes, I can't remember exactly how old DS was but he wanted to feed, then didn't actually want to feed, but cried when I stopped. He settled when he was sucking on mine or XP's finger so I bought a dummy and didn't look back.

He rejected it of his own accord when he discovered food grin We were very lucky in that respect.

BertieBotts Sat 08-Mar-14 11:22:25

I think he was a few weeks old when it was introduced.

KatAndKit Sat 08-Mar-14 11:23:05

I used one from about 3 weeks onwards, it worked really well and had no adverse effect on breastfeeding. He still has it now at nearly 2 but the dummy lives in the cot with the exception of illness or long car journeys.

weebairn Sat 08-Mar-14 11:37:07

4 weeks. Lifesaver.
Now trying to get rid of it at 17 months… hmm Still breastfeeding though so obviously didn't affect that side of things!

Nocomet Sat 08-Mar-14 11:40:52

No, never ever crossed my mind too.

Why on earth would you, it's just an unnecessary thing to worry about.

FannyFifer Sat 08-Mar-14 11:41:53

Absolutely, survived about 4 weeks without using one on DS, ha, learned that lesson,DD had one at 2 days old, as soon as i got out the hospital.

Both children breastfed till age 2,dummy was a lifesaver & what ensured I breastfed successfully for so long. grin

Ludways Sat 08-Mar-14 11:44:33

No. Never felt the need to, personally I don't like them but that doesn't mean others don't, I know plenty of people who have used them and say they're a godsend.

Seff Sat 08-Mar-14 11:49:14

No, DD wasn't a really "sucky" baby, and although she fed fairly often during the day (1-2 hours), it was only ever for 5-10 minutes usually, other than growth spurts and evening cluster feeds - which I was happy with as it meant she slept longer in an evening. Same at night, just spaced further apart. I was comfortable with the amount of comfort sucking she did.

I may have considered if it she'd been attached a lot. If next baby is more sucky, and all forms of tongue/lip tie have been ruled out, I may consider it.

satintaupe Sat 08-Mar-14 11:50:56

No, baby wouldn't take one; we tried when she was cluster feeding for hours at a time. The cluster feeding didn't last long in the grand scheme of things so I'm now glad that she didn't.

notso Sat 08-Mar-14 11:53:48

Yes I am a massive dummy fan.
I lasted 3 weeks with DD's endless non-feeding just wanting my breast in her mouth through the night. Gave her a dummy and finally had sleeeeep.
My three DS's all had one introduced between 2 and 5 weeks.

Only DS1 had feeding problems but there was more to it that having a dummy. Reflux, only turning his head one way, a frankly useless health visitor and very little BF support were more likely the cause.

Ds1 took dummy from birth, helped a lot, he bf for years, no problems. Lost interest on dummy at 18mo.

Ds2 never took the dummy, now I know it was probably because of tongue tie. His latch wasn't great, still isn't but managed to ebf. He's 16mo and I still am his human dummy.

NoIamAngelaHernandez Sat 08-Mar-14 13:13:49

I ebf my twins until 10 months. Both had dummies from a week old.

GingerMaman Sat 08-Mar-14 13:14:56

I didn't but I really really wish I had. By the time I offered it I think at 2/3 months she just wouldn't suck on it hmm

TheScience Sat 08-Mar-14 13:16:27

I gave DS1 a dummy from about 3-4 weeks and it didn't cause any problems. DS2 is only 5 days old but I am hoping to introduce one again soon, particularly for night times. Good to hear lots of people did manage to introduce one early without compromising breastfeeding - I might wait a few more days and then try.

ds had one from about 6 weeks. I really didn't want him too but it helped enormously with his reflux. by 18weeks he stopped using it and we bfed for a year.

dd is 2 weeks old and has had a dummy from 7 days. mw recommend I get one after her very first feed as you could see she was going to be a real sucker! Sometimes she doesn't need it at all, other times she will suck it for 3 hours solid! it seems to help her push wind out her bum shock I am worried about it effecting bf ing though so keeping a close eye on her latch and weight gain.
neither of my children were allowed dummies in public unless I was desperate <hypocritical dummy snob> grin

homeanddry Sat 08-Mar-14 13:26:46

Nocomet
No, never ever crossed my mind too.
Why on earth would you, it's just an unnecessary thing to worry about.

If you'd had a baby who cried incessantly with colic or reflux, you might be a bit less smug.

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Sat 08-Mar-14 13:34:18

Dc1 no
Dc2 not until 4.5 months, mainly as he would just want 2 sucks of a nipple to get to sleep and was driving me pretty crazy! I'd try without with the next one if poss as I didn't enjoy taking it off him at 15 months

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now