Why is she trying to rip my nipple off

(6 Posts)

Feeding with dd going really well, she's 13 weeks and we've just come out the other side of a growth spurt all ok. Last couple of days she has been pulling at my nipple til she pops off (ouch!) and fussing a bit. My boobs are getting quite full in between feeds as don't think she's taking a full feed. I'm letting her eat as much as she wants. Why's she doing this?

tmae Sat 08-Mar-14 17:27:01

I can't help but have been having the same thing happen with my 7 week old and have no idea why he's doing it

rosiedays Sat 08-Mar-14 21:10:48

Teething would be my first thought! Dd did this a lot, she also mastered the throw head to the side with nipple between gums move which is shock
Teething powder before feed (all herbal) really helped.
Boobs will be fuller from growth spirt and should settle in a few days.
Dd now has 7 teeth (at 7.5 months) and we're still bf happily.

BadPenny Sat 08-Mar-14 21:11:45

Teething?

(Assuming nothing has changed recently such as introducing bottles / dummies etc.)

Hope it passes soon!

GinGinGin Sat 08-Mar-14 21:16:04

Yep definately teething - dd did this whenever her teeth hurt (she's 18 mo & has been teething since she was 10 weeks old & still only has 3 teeth shock). I always knew her teeth were bothering her when she did this. If I'm completely honest, I didn't even notice the pain after a while! Calpol also helps (I never noticed any difference with teething powders or things like bongela). As a pp said, your boobs are probably bigger because of the growth spurt. As long as she's having plenty of wet nappies & isn't losing weight, no need to worry.

Didn't occur to me at all! She has been a bit more dribble and sucks her hands lots but has been doing that for a while. Thank you! Will get some tooth powders and keep an eye on her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now