How long does your 3mo bf for?

(9 Posts)
Imnotbeverley Thu 06-Mar-14 14:38:17

Well just that really... DS has been a bit odd in the last few days, we've had some epic feedings. Today he is only feeding from one side (usually has both), and for only about 15 mins (usually takes 25 mins for both sides). He screams if I try to get him to feed more, even after winding/nappy change etc. he is noticeably more distractable in the last few days and he also has his fists in his mouth a LOT at the moment.

I'm worried that he's hungry but some kind of pain (teething?) is preventing him from feeding. However he seems perfectly happy. Has he just become more efficient?

BeetlebumShesAGun Fri 07-Mar-14 16:45:13

No advice I'm afraid but I'm having a similar problem. Seems like my DD (3mo) either feeds for an hour or only for a few minutes, then she pulls off and screams if I try to put her back on. Same with the fists in her mouth!

fhdl34 Fri 07-Mar-14 19:37:45

My 3 month old is a superfast feeder (3 minutes per side unless he's going to sleep). He does the fist thing too but usually as a comfort thing when he's going to the loo. Perhaps they have become more efficient and just don't need to be on as long? That happened with my dd at 4 months

MissRatty Sat 08-Mar-14 19:27:08

Three minutes per side? Oh my... Jealous!

Our LO varies, but a good feed takes about half hour...his latch isn't brill though, but is getting better.

MissRatty Sat 08-Mar-14 19:31:01

I was told though that their latch improves as they get older as their mouths get bigger and that they become more efficient feeders as their suck gets stronger. I would think that it would be gradual though. They will vary from day to day I guess, depending on how hungry they are. Our bf clinic says they ate like any other human, some days they'll want to stuff their faces, other days they might not be so hungry, or might just want to snack.

fhdl34 Sun 09-Mar-14 21:10:16

He's a huge puker though, my dd would feed, sit her up, one burp would come and she was good to lie on her mat and play. DS however has to be kept upright for at least 20 minutes and then when he goes on the playmat he still gets wind and pukes. He can puke an hour after a feed, blooming guzzle guts smile

BertieBotts Sun 09-Mar-14 21:12:11

Yes they do get more efficient feeders as they get older! smile

Also don't be surprised if your boobs stop feeling hard and full between feeds, it's normal at about 3 months, it doesn't mean your supply has dropped, it's just settled down and adapted to what your baby needs (rather than being in overdrive). For some reason nobody tells you this and it's quite often worrying.

BeetlebumShesAGun Mon 10-Mar-14 09:07:24

That's reassuring Bertie. I was worrying a bit especially as she is feeding like a monster these past few days!!

Happymum1985 Tue 11-Mar-14 12:59:24

Thats really reassuring to read @BertieBotts ..I had noticed that (at 4months) and thought my milk supply was decreasing!!! So jealous of you all, my DS feeds for an hour on the breast!!! (started expressing out of necessity to save time if I'm rushing!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now