is it safe to use a breast pump twice in a couple of hours without resterilising?

(7 Posts)
42andcounting Thu 06-Mar-14 14:26:39

My DD is mix fed but will bf at least every two hours during the day until I run out of milk in the early evening, when I supplement with a ff. She rarely goes more than four hours during the night without a bf. I have to be away from her for seven hours in about a months time (non negotiable) and as it will be from noon til 19:00 I am likely to have milk overflow. I thought I'd bf just before I leave and immediately on return; I will have two opportunities to express while I'm away, and am wondering if it would be ok to use the same pump twice without sterilising it, or will I need to take two pumps with me (I have a manual and an electric so could do this if needed).

I won't have access to a fridge but planned to take a small cool bag and ice packs to keep the milk cool until I can refrigerate it, i think that should be safe?

Can anyone advise on these two issues please? Thanks.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Thu 06-Mar-14 14:38:50

I think it's more important to give it a good wash in hot soapy water and then rinse it, if you can do that I think it would be fine. Will try and find a link for you.

Definitely yes to the cool bag.

If you are worried about the sterilising and have access to a microwave, medela do quick sterilising bags that you can buy on amazon.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Thu 06-Mar-14 14:43:36
AndIFeedEmGunpowder Thu 06-Mar-14 14:49:21
AndIFeedEmGunpowder Thu 06-Mar-14 14:50:14
geekaMaxima Thu 06-Mar-14 16:18:17

If you have somewhere clean for the pump parts to dry undisturbed on kitchen roll, then a hot soapy wash would be fine.

Otherwise, you can chill the pump parts in the same ice bag as the milk. If it's a good bag and you have plenty of ice packs, it will be as efficient as the fridge. And refrigerating pump parts between uses over a day is common practise for regular pumping bfers.

42andcounting Thu 06-Mar-14 18:08:56

Brilliant, thank you both. I dont have anywhere to wash or microwave the pump, and only have ten minutes each time to express, so I think that either chilling the pump or using wipes is the way forward. Many thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now