Cranial osteopathy

(8 Posts)
MistletoeBUTNOwine Thu 06-Mar-14 12:47:43

Has anyone had any experience of this?
8 week old ebf DS, had anterior tongue tie snipped at 3 weeks, still having some feeding / digestive probs. poor latch, very windy. Just looking into possible treatments. Any comments would be helpful, Tia smile

EvenFlo Thu 06-Mar-14 12:51:42

We tried with our very collicky, refluxy baby. For us it made no difference whatsoever.

I have heard great things about CO but I'm not convinced. May have just been my experience but the osteopath seemed to be using a lot of pseudo-science to me.

geekaMaxima Thu 06-Mar-14 13:07:51

Discussions tend to turn into flame wars between those who say it's a placebo effect dressed up in pseudoscientific woo and those who swear it worked for them - e.g. www.mumsnet.com/Talk/breast_and_bottle_feeding/a1925594-Cranial-osteopathy

Monikita Thu 06-Mar-14 14:04:51

We did loads of osteopathy because I was desperate, frankly (DD had 3 tt revisions and a poor latch).

We had some improvement but if I'm honest, I don't think it was anything to do with the osteopathy (there is a lot of pseudo-science to it).

I did, however, religiously practise suck training on DD. Within a couple of weeks she was putting on 8oz a week.

feedthebabyllc.com/suckling-exercises/ and babyandbump.momtastic.com/breastfeeding/1380239-advice-baby-unable-open-mouth-wide-enough-latch-correctly-2.html (you need to scroll down to the last post).

Ideally you do it before every feed but before your DS is actually hungry (You're probably thinking, when the hell do I get a chance to do that?). After a few days, he'll begin to associate the exercises with feeding.

Hope that helps a bit. It really helped with the pain until my periods started and then it was agony when ovulating and before the period

MistletoeBUTNOwine Thu 06-Mar-14 14:06:45

Thanks for the link geek, interesting. I'm o the 'if it won't do any harm, why not try it' school of thought.
I'm interested to see others' experiences smile

EvenFlo Thu 06-Mar-14 14:18:23

For us, colief and ranitidine were the answer.

Oh and time (interestingly the CO suggested 'treatment' until 12wks when colic traditionally starts to wind down anyway).....

MistletoeBUTNOwine Thu 06-Mar-14 15:01:48

The meds would help with wind/ reflux but he does still have a poor latch sad

MissRatty Fri 07-Mar-14 04:19:51

Hmmm, if you want more info, click the link below...this Dr is wise in his words...be aware though that numrous people have been injured and an infant has died after craniosacral therapy.

www.badscience.net/2004/09/cranial-osteopathy/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now