Nursing Bras in a small cup size AND a small back size?

(13 Posts)
WantAnOrange Thu 06-Mar-14 12:47:25

Does such a thing exist? DD is 17 months so I am past the bigger boobs phase and back to pre-pg size, which is tiny and still need nursing bras as she feeds in the day a couple times. I've been measured at Mothercare as a 32B but my measurements come up as a 32A. I have searched for ages, tried Bravado, Bravissimo, Hot Milk etc, all the ones people rave about but I can't find any real choice for my size and most seem to assume small back = big cup, which unless your Jordan, doesn't seem to logical to me confused.

ooievaar Thu 06-Mar-14 13:00:51

If you're finding it difficult to get bras in the right size, would you think of converting them yourself? it's really easy - kits cost about a fiver (e.g. on Ebay) and it takes less than 10 mins even for a cack-handed non-sewing-expert like me. That's what I've done with all my nursing bras, and it means you can choose whichever bra you like.

Mind you, I am in a similar position (DD is 20mo and feeds a few times a day) and I just hoick my breasts out of a normal bra half of the time! if the cup is quite soft it's actually easier than you would think...

Are you 100% sure about the 32A measurements? smile

WantAnOrange Thu 06-Mar-14 13:07:10

I've followed the HotMilk size guide but other than that no I'm not all that sure! I'd like to go to Bravissimo and get measured properly but I live nowhere near one. Great idea, I sew quite a lot, I don't know why I didn't think of it!

ouryve Thu 06-Mar-14 13:07:37

Is your underbust actually 32"? I'd guess that you're more like a 28C or D. DH measures a 34C!
Check here www.mumsnet.com/style-and-beauty/bra-guide
Of cours,e the smallest nursing bra on Figleaves is 30C, so that still might not help, unless it's a small fit.

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 06-Mar-14 13:10:09

What are your actual measurements eg your back size in inches & the full measurement whilst bent over

I doubt mothercares measurements are correct to be honest.

minipie Thu 06-Mar-14 13:20:31

I'm small backed and fairly small boobed (especially towards the end of feeding) and I wore cotton crop top style nursing bras from Jojomaman bebe. Wouldn't be supportive enough for the massive norked but soo comfy if you are smaller boobed. I am pretty small (30 back) and wore their size medium, the small was teeny tiny so should fit even the smallest person I'd have thought.

ooievaar Thu 06-Mar-14 14:57:54

Aha, as I suspected! HotMilk use the +4 method, which is completely useless - ignore, ignore, ignore grin

Follow the guidelines on the Better Bra Campaign here and measure yourself: if you sew a lot you must have a tape measure to hand!

If you're a good sewer, it'll be a cinch to convert the bras, I promise. Don't even bother looking for nursing bras if you're a 28 back which I'd guess you are, just go straight for a normal one (underwired is fine) and get sewing.

Oh and do come back and tell us what you measure <nosy>

there's no way you will be 32A as that means only 1 inch difference between the under bust and over bust measurements. What are your actual measurements and we can tell you what sizes to try?

WantAnOrange Fri 07-Mar-14 06:24:53

I measured in CM, under bust 71cm and over bust 81 cm. I tried on some in Peacocks yesterday and found a couple that fit nicely in a 32A but obviously they not nursing and not brilliant quality.

Those measurements make you roughly a 28C not a 32A. They have the same cup volume as each other but you will not get the proper under boob support with the larger band size.

Willabywallaby Fri 07-Mar-14 06:43:10

Bravissimo is for the larger cup, so wouldn't be of any use to you. ilove size sounds a bit more realistic.

FrancesGlass Fri 07-Mar-14 07:04:20

Just to pipe in - I've done the better bra campaign thing OP and, honestly, it's not all that comfortable wearing a 30 when you've always worn a 32. It hurts!

If you're for the small chested-small backed, you often just don't need all that much support. I wear crop tops from Gap - they're well made, great for BFing (DS is 13mths and BF), and most importantly, they're comfortable while providing an appropriate amount of support.

I think the whole Better Bra Campaign is great but best suited for those with more norkage than us!

FrancesGlass Fri 07-Mar-14 07:06:56

Btw, my Better Bra measurements are the same as yours and for BFing I wear a medium in the Gap crop bras. There are some online for £9.00 at the moment - I just got a lovely raspberry coloured one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now