More efficient feeding with a change of position?

(7 Posts)
Bumpiemalumpie Wed 05-Mar-14 21:21:57

Hello all, I hope someone can give me some help.

My little one is almost 6 weeks old. I am ebf and very proud of myself!

My breast feeding 'career' has been a bit anxiety making but I guess that is usual!

Anyway, I had been feeding lo in the across the body position, a good breast draining feed would take about 40mins and I would be satisfied he had got a good amount, it would take about an hour with breaks and winding. I also pushed for this length after some 'pesto' type poos.

After a conversation with a friend, I tried the rugby ball hold. Lo seemed to drain me more than I have ever felt before but in 15/20 mins.

My neurotic question is, is he getting just as good a feed in less time from this other position??

TIA

Bumpiemalumpie Thu 06-Mar-14 09:07:55

bump

Not sure about efficiency but I only ever felt like dd was feeding well in the rugby ball hold, I found it much more comfortable and she always fed faster like that. Well done for feeding this long, I found it got easier and easier as time went on :-)

redcaryellowcar Thu 06-Mar-14 09:15:39

I am sorry but don't know the answer to your question but will certainly be trying new position now. My thoughts are i imagine that as everyone (mums boobs and babies) is different shapes and sizes what works for one may not work for another!

BadPenny Thu 06-Mar-14 14:45:49

Also, bear in mind that by 6 weeks a baby is becoming a more efficient feeder so that will also be a factor - if everything else is normal, shorter feeds aren't a concern.

Most 6 week old babies would let you know if they're not getting enough. Well done for getting this far!

Bumpiemalumpie Thu 06-Mar-14 18:57:11

Thankz all,

I hadn't thought about how he may just be getting the hang of it!! We are still having lots of wees and poos in mustard colour, no pesto poos so I hope he is doing well. No to crack a longer than 3 hour pattern in the night!! Advice?!

Bumpiemalumpie Fri 07-Mar-14 17:53:28

hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now