Let down pain

(5 Posts)
Pinkbell123 Tue 25-Feb-14 12:30:43

My newborn DS is feeding well, only lost 1% of birth weight at day 5 and think I'm
getting the hang of breast feeding. But the pain when he latches on is excruciating. I can't bear it, especially at night. Only lasts for about ten sucks but so sore.

The midwife says he has a good latch but sucks really hard so this may be why. But basically I just need to wait for my nipples to toughen up.

Is there anything I can do to help them along. Sometimes I dread him latching as it feels like I'm being stabbed confused

gamerchick Tue 25-Feb-14 12:33:34

Day 5 saw me sobbing over a tin of formula. By day 7 it was definitely much better. I promise it passes.

Rub some milk into your nipples and air them to dry. Much better than creams.

Eletheomel Tue 25-Feb-14 13:11:24

I had the same problem with DS1 - latch was great but my milk flow was fast and my let down was excruciating (honestly, I would swear for the first 30-40 seconds - it was agony!)

Pleased to say by the end of week 3, it was negligible and by week 4 it had gone.

Hang on in there, it does pass! (and if its any bonus, with DS2 I didn't have this let down pain at all)

Eletheomel Tue 25-Feb-14 13:12:41

Oh, and I used lansinoh religiously (before and after every feed) for the first month.

mumofthreeboysS Wed 26-Feb-14 07:29:43

I can so relate! LO is 8 weeks old now and I still get let down pain but it's much better than it was! I still grimace for 30 secs or so sometimes but after that the pain goes. I also had sore nipples (they're still a bit sore sometimes) but hang in there as it does get better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now