Is breastfeeding as painful second time?

(81 Posts)
PastaandCheese Tue 25-Feb-14 06:53:06

Due my second this week. I fed DD for a year and naively assumed this meant my nipples might have 'toughened up' a bit but they are so sore already before I've even fed the baby I think I might be a bit deluded.

What was your experience second time please? I'm assuming I'll feel a bit less clueless but other than that is the very sore start inevitable again?

myrubberduck Thu 27-Feb-14 19:40:01

Sorry dear; I just don't believe you.

It's entirely contrary to the experience of most of the women I know who have bf. Most experienced quite a bit of pain in the early weeks. I suppose its possible that by sheer chance most of the people I know are in what according to you must me a small minority.

I doubt it though.

zoemaguire Thu 27-Feb-14 19:42:16

Well 200 out of 1800 is hardly insignificant. As I said, in any case I don't care about the precise statistics, it feels like meaningless nitpicking. It's a real enough issue for a lot of women, I don't think it is helpful to dismiss it because it only affects 1 in 10 or 1 in 5 or whatever you think the statistical norm might be. We get told that labour is hard, but any idea that breast feeding might take perseverance and some discomfort in the initial stages is somehow seen as unacceptable discouragement.

And why fixate on whether or not it 'should' be painless anyway? In practice latch issues are incredibly hard to fix sometimes - saying it should be painless is not that much help. I've spent hours and hours in bf clinics in my time. I've still had 3 kids who all latch more easily on one side, leaving the other frequently sore, cracked and prone to mastitis. I'll go to the clinic next week to see what they suggest, but if there were a magic solution I think we'd have worked it out by now!

atthestrokeoftwelve Thu 27-Feb-14 20:52:38

Oh please Zoe- I have never suggested that unexplained early pain does not exist- I am simply arguing that it is not usual.

"Fixating" on pain is crucial in supporting breastfeeding women.
If we simply accept that breastfeeding will be painful and that's normal we will be brushing away problems which need addressing.

Gemdar Thu 27-Feb-14 21:05:11

Painful first time - used so much lansinoh, second time hardly used any so pretty pain free. Got a little vampire now at 9 months tho!

Cbeebies was my best friend during those first few weeks when bfing all the time. Dc1 didn't seem interested in any other activity I had in mind...

zoemaguire Thu 27-Feb-14 22:14:26

And I'm arguing it doesn't matter! I just wish there was less rose-tinted and more realistic promotion of breastfeeding. Most women give up, and often feel like failures as a result. So easy, cheap and convenient! Not to start with, no, and not for most women, or else we wouldn't have 95% of uk women not bf to 6 months.

LeonieDeSainteVire Thu 27-Feb-14 23:27:07

I'm just going to weigh in on the side of 'breastfeeding is generally sore until it is established', I believe that to be true from my own experience and from other bf mothers I have spoken to.

Frankly I don't care what any 'professionals' may say, it feels like those doctors who denied morning sickness existed because there was no medical evidence for it hmm. Also, surely, it makes sense, if you start breast feeding a baby your nipples (previously generally tucked peacefully away in your bra) are suddenly being vigorously sucked on throughout the day and night, why on earth wouldn't that produce some discomfort? Even if the baby is exactly perfectly positioned. And once the nipples get used to it, the discomfort goes. Which takes around 4 weeks ish. Longer for some if there were other problems.

Maybe someone should start a thread in chat 'Was breastfeeding entirely comfortable from the word go?'. There are enough people on here to start getting some statistically significant sample if they all responded.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now