I'm just curious if anyone has any idea about this

(13 Posts)

My mum said that when she was a baby she was hospitalised for being over fed as a breast fed newborn as she hadnt pooed for several days. She says that my nan did the 4 hours schedule like you were supposed to but had 'so much milk' that she expressed lots and lots which she donated to the hospital.
I'm thinking that she was probably being underfed as she was on a 4 hour schedule but bf babies don't always poo every day do they? So this was probably normal? Also my nan prob had so much milk because she was expressing (to get rid of it apparenty,) but this would just have been upping her supply wouldn't it? It just doesn't make sense to me and I tried to explain to my mum that she prob wasn't being over fed but is it possible? I know no one can really answer as my mum is ancient and that's all the info there is on what happened but thought I'd get others opinions? Just because I'm bored really waiting for dd to wake up and putting off sorting the dishwasher

newborns should poo several times a day and dont start to going longer between poos until they are around 5/6 weeks old. Maybe she hadnt pooed for several days because she was on a 4 hour schedule and wasnt getting enough milk.

tiktok Tue 18-Feb-14 15:48:53

Your mum's account does not make sense, Ninja.

Thanks I didn't think it made sense but I tried to explain feeding on demand and how that would increase supply etc etc but I don't think she got it. She had previously said that dd couldn't possibly be hungry after only an hour which led on to this conversation hmm

MalkieFraser Tue 18-Feb-14 15:55:27

My two ebf babies went 5-7 days between poos from 4/5 weeks old. Perfectly normal. Plenty of wet nappies, satisfactory weight gain, happy healthy babies. Just no waste.

That's what I thought malkie so why was it a problem for my mum? Either that or she wasn't getting enough milk so why think she was being over fed? Did they just not know enough when she was a baby? She was born in 1947.

MalkieFraser Tue 18-Feb-14 16:10:12

To be honest a lot of health professionals even now know little about breast feeding...

TheScience Tue 18-Feb-14 16:13:14

A newborn being fed on a 4 hour schedule and not pooing was being underfed, not overfed.

Going days between poos can be normal for a baby from a few weeks old once feeding is established, but not a newborn.

Even now many professionals have no clue. They knew less then and then it was also men telling women how it would work. It was wrong then. It's better now. It's still improving.

That's true malkie. I think you're right thescience. Considering my nan had quite a lot of milk whether naturally or because she was expressing so much it's quite sad that my mum wasn't gettin enough of it.

TheScience Tue 18-Feb-14 16:33:55

How sad as well that it has gone down in family history as your nan doing something wrong, when actually her body obviously worked just fine and she was up against bad medical advice.

I know, that's why I tried to explain to my mum but I don't think she got it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now