Breast pads - any recommendations ?

(24 Posts)
ipswichwitch Sat 08-Feb-14 05:59:23

I'm wondering if washable reusable breast pads are any good. I'm currently using Lansinoh ones and although they are good they cost a fortune.

I've tried most other disposable brands but find they are either way too small or just not absorbent enough since I leak like a bucket full of holes (sorry if tmi!) and have fast letdown so basically get milk everywhere .

Has anyone used reusables and can they cope with copious leakage without leaving me feeling soggy?

Confitdecanard Sat 08-Feb-14 06:04:12

Personally I found disposable (Lansinoh or Johnson) the best in the early days when I had lots if leakage. Washable ones were soggy quickly. However, I know there are lots of people on here who swear by them. I found that as my milk supply became more established and feeding more predictable, leaking decreased and washable ones were ok.

PastaandCheese Sat 08-Feb-14 06:53:35

I stock up on Lansinoh when they are on offer. Currently 1/3 off at Ocado.

I noticed they were 1/3 off at Sainsburys in the week too.

WelshMoth Sat 08-Feb-14 06:56:13

Tommee Tippee disposables were definitely the best for me. Pricey though so I used to stock up at BOGOF in T*sco. They were the best at absorbency, not clumping and for staying attached to your bra.

MyNameIsSuz Sat 08-Feb-14 07:04:21

I used to get the Lansinoh ones from Amazon, they worked out a bit cheaper. I did move to disposables, but only a few months in once leakage had subsided - even then I leaked through them and had to go back to disposables every time he dropped a feed or had a growth spurt as I started leaking a lot again. Someone on here recommended Lenny Lamb ones, I was initially pleased with them as they're very big, but I managed to shrink all of mine in the wash! Sorry if that's not very helpful...

isisisis Sat 08-Feb-14 07:07:08

I only like the lansinoh ones but get through so many it's £££. I've just changed to using washable bamboo ones I got off amazon & they're really good. I only need to change them as often as I was the disposables & they're more comfy. They are less discreet/ more bulky so I keep a box of disposables for wearing with tighter tops if I'm going out. Will try & find a link.

justmuddlingalongsomehow Sat 08-Feb-14 07:08:54

I found the edges of the lansinoh ones scratchy - I preferred the johnson ones by far. I never tried reuseable... I'd never have managed to get the through the wash for when I needed them!!

isisisis Sat 08-Feb-14 07:09:30

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00FEG71DY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1391843272&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165
I got these cos they're cheap & the reviews were good. I like them but haven't tried any others to compare.

isisisis Sat 08-Feb-14 07:14:49

Sorry , complete link fail. Mine are the Ana wiz ones with blue/ pink birds. I've got 2packs & always seem to have enough. Though I do like them to match (like underwear, in case I get run over) so that sometimes takes a bit of rooting around. smile

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Sat 08-Feb-14 07:19:29

With both mine I found disposable lansinoh was best for the first. 8ish weeks. Then I used little lamb bamboo ones, they are great. Available from little lamb website or they have a shop on eBay

namegame2 Sat 08-Feb-14 07:55:20

these are the best washable ones i've used
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251262719910?var=550231451652&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

i've got both waterproof backing and without waterproof backing. can use 2 together if heavy leaking or just change more often if needed

wash easy too and comfortable

ipswichwitch Sat 08-Feb-14 08:33:11

Thanks all .
I'll give some of these reusables a try. Trouble is I was just like MyNameIsSuz when I had DS1 - I was quite leaky through growth spurts etc, so maybe will use washable ones at home and disposables when I'm out/when my supply is more settled.
I was hoping to save some money - if I add up what I spend on these things I could probably afford a deposit on a new car or something! Thanks for the Saibsburys tip PastaAndCheese, I'll get down there today.

Cakeismymaster Sat 08-Feb-14 10:47:35

I've found the asda little angels ones good, soft and good absorbency and cheap! Sainsburys own ones rubbish.

BetterWithCheese Sat 08-Feb-14 10:52:56

I just got Mothercare reusables and they are rubbish! I think I had some from Boots which were good when I had DS but can't remember.

leedy Sat 08-Feb-14 17:29:33

Never found reusables could cope with my leakiness in the early days, but I had oversupply. I like Lansinoh, Tommy Tippee, and Avent of the disposables.

Gemdar Mon 10-Feb-14 10:23:09

I second the asda disposables were great, worth a try for around the house?

Mummyfizzy Mon 10-Feb-14 14:54:27

Agree about the Asda ones too. Very good and good value and Sainsburys ones are truly awful and made me itch!!

quackojuliet Mon 10-Feb-14 15:01:37

I find the lansinoh ones bunch up in my bra and fall out when feeding ( not a good look in public)
Must be doing something wrong, or perhaps it's my crappy m and s nursing bra that's to blame
I still leak but just wash my clothes more often...guess I am a bit of a slob though

GingerMaman Mon 10-Feb-14 15:02:18

Johnson's best for me, smooth and silky, with a good indent for the nipple
Lansinoh were a bit annoying because each individual ones needs to be removed from a plastic pack.

Some women find Lilypadz, which are reusable silicon pads, work very well. I think they are particularly good for women who leak a lot.

ILoveCwtches Mon 10-Feb-14 15:07:19

I agree re the Little Angels ones, from Asda. I still need them, most days, after over 9 months, as I have a generous let down.

They're cheap & comfy.

Jennyl131 Mon 10-Feb-14 19:21:50

Another vote for lasinoh, but again I was / still can be very leaky (ds is now 10 months but have only just been able to stop wearing a bra and pads at night).

Had avent reuseables at one point with dd, but never got on with them, too bulky and no dry topsheet on them.

Amazon was cheapest, though you need to watch as the price does fluctuate. Generally about £3.50 for a box of 60, remember other brands often come in smaller packs, and I just kept telling myself it was cheaper than formula...

MissRatty Mon 10-Feb-14 20:36:55

Johnson & Johnson for me...a quid for a pack in Morrisons. The Asda ones were of but leave fibres on your boobs which is never good...

PumpingRSI Tue 11-Feb-14 21:52:36

I got some off eBay that were bamboo material with waterproof backing. great absorbancy, large and soft and quick to dry. mothercare cotton ones were rubbish by comparison.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now