Can someone remind that it gets easier?

(50 Posts)
elsiewoo Thu 09-Jan-14 16:37:17

DD is 23 days old today and has been feeding ALL DAY - she is ebf

She has barely slept - the odd 10 mins here and there while feeding.

I've just had a little cry as I'm a bit overwhelmed with it all, although she is dc2 so I should really know the score.....

Mogz Thu 09-Jan-14 18:45:40

She's right on time for a growth spurt, it'll only last a few days (until the next one!), hang on in there you are doing great!

Superworm Thu 09-Jan-14 18:53:49

It does get easier...and even enjoyable smile

Those early days are utterly relentless, plus your body is still in recovery from the birth and pregnancy. It tough going.

You are both still finding your feet but in a few weeks, patterns will emerge and it will all start falling into place. You will feel physically stronger and then come the smiles! The first time DS smiled at me on the noobs my heart melted.

Superworm Thu 09-Jan-14 18:54:35

Boobs not noobs.

froubylou Thu 09-Jan-14 21:23:49

Feel your pain. Ds is 28 days tomorrow and we have had a tough few days and nights. But today has been better. Managed to get him down for a couple of hours earlier on and he has gone roughly
2 hours between feeds.

It's surprising how much better you feel for an hour or so without a baby on the boob. I even managed a bit of housework earlier!

Hang on in there. Eat lots of cake. Have a nice bath. Slather on the lanisoh and resign yourself to being a milk machine for the next few days.

SmallBee Thu 09-Jan-14 21:28:19

Be strong. Sit on the sofa in pj's with food all around within arms reach, poo on a good box set/film and out your feet up while you feed her.

SmallBee Thu 09-Jan-14 21:29:34

Whoops! clearly I meant you to put on a box set. Please don't poo on them. Oh dear.

Superworm Thu 09-Jan-14 21:34:21

gringringrin small

Pmsl

MoreSkyThanWeNeed Thu 09-Jan-14 21:39:52

You can do it! Hang in there!
I wish someone had told me that it's not unusual to be breastfeeding constantly in the early weeks (or months in my case). I would have amended my expectations - i.e no to washing hair, yes to entire packets of chocolate digestives and watching all the crap TLC has to offer.

callamia Thu 09-Jan-14 21:39:53

You're doing great, and it will get easier!

I felt like the six weeks is been promised felt like forever away, but it happened - it got easier. In the meantime, noone will begrudge you a cry, or an extended shower. Keep up with the cake and drink, make yourself cosy and know that you're doing a marvellous job.

SmallBee Thu 09-Jan-14 21:40:53

I'm sure autocorrect is out to get me today. I also sent a text to my OH asking if he was busty (busy).

Monique2013 Thu 09-Jan-14 23:25:01

Hang in there...DS is now 8 weeks and just started feeding less. My 1st weeks were so tiresome I know exactly what you going through.

NickyEds Fri 10-Jan-14 01:51:11

I'm feeling your pain!! 19 day old ds on some sort of milk binge at the minute- feel a bit like a breeding sow at the moment. How can such a tiny baby eat for an hour solid come off for one minute then scream like he's starving for next boob. And how can he do that ALL day??? Well done for having only a small cry- I sobbed for about 2 hours yesyerday. I think perhaps we should be over whelmed- we made people for goodness sake!

elsiewoo Fri 10-Jan-14 09:08:49

Thanks so much for the replies - made me feel loads better. I guess I thought it would be much easier second time around, turns out it's just as tough! Hey ho, roll on 8 weeks I say.

In the meantime, I'll keep pooing on films and eating chocolate smile

tiktok Fri 10-Jan-14 09:38:48

Er......

"In the meantime, I'll keep pooing on films"

Whatever gets you through the day, I suppose confused

smile smile smile

pointythings Fri 10-Jan-14 11:06:55

I found the first 8 weeks really really hard, and I had buckets of milk both times. And my DDs were fast feeders even when little - started out about 30 minutes per boob, could do both sides in 15 at 3 months.

But those spurts so close together in the first few weeks are just exhausting, and then there's the cluster feeding in the evenings too, it feels like you can never put them down. I lugged mine around in a sling.

And we didn't have box sets when I was on maternity leave, (13 and 11 years ago so still v expensive) so I was reduced to watching daytime TV...

It gets easier!

ElleCloughie Fri 10-Jan-14 11:38:17

Just accepting that this is what you need to do right now. I stressed myself out a bit at the beginning with all the things I kept thinking about that I couldn't get done and it made me feel really fustrated and miserable. Once I accepted it, it became easier - now I'm catching up with all those series on telly that everyone talked about and I was too busy to see, and making the most of time cuddled up with my DD, because shes already growing so fast and before long will want to spend her time doing much more interesting things than curled up on the sofa with mummy!

It gets easier, in the first 8 weeks it seemed like DS was always on schedule for yet another growth spurt, but it gets easier. I now miss the days of being attached to the sofa with DS either feeding or sleeping on me, instead of chasing him around and having the daily nap and bed time battles. <wistfully remembers>

GranolaMam Fri 10-Jan-14 11:44:44

In a couple of days you will have forgotten all about this and will enjoy and cherish every breastfed once more until the next growth spurt grin

lanbro Fri 10-Jan-14 11:54:58

It does get easier! We're at 4 months and despite intentions to express and bottle feed I haven't got round to it, time goes so quickly and honestly can't be bothered to push it when we'll be weaning in another couple of months - I'm sure I wouldn't feel like that if it hadn't got easier, I've got a 22mo too! Pat yourself on the back, you've already made it further than many!

MetellaEstMater Fri 10-Jan-14 11:58:06

Completely sympathise - six days in with DD2 and it's relentless. The advice to get a box set on and sit on the sofa is great whilst DH around but once he's back at work there is also DD1 to look after, so tempting as the sofa is there is only so much drawing DD1 will do and so much Mr Tumble I can tolerate..! sad

Munxx Fri 10-Jan-14 13:54:27

It does get easier.

You can do this!

I took it feed by feed, (more manageable than day by day)

stickysausages Fri 10-Jan-14 14:32:01

Just keep focussing on the fact it does get easier... and the extra sleep you'll eventually get when you do night feeds & don't have to get out of bed or make bottles!

You're doing amazing!!

TimeToPassGo Fri 10-Jan-14 14:48:40

You've been through it before so you know you can survive but it is just so hatefully overwhelming at the time sad Big hugs for you. Netflix or boxsets, pint glass of squash beside you, comfy chair. And sleep as much as you can - stay away from MN! smile easier said than done as I remember!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now