Night feeds - advice please

(10 Posts)
MrsArranLoves Sun 08-Dec-13 19:34:00

We are doing a mix of bf, expressing and formula feeding. My DD struggles with bf at night so we've been using pre mixed formula which we can just pour into a bottle. I'd like to move to the powder but I'm not sure if I can pre-prepare the water before I go to bed? I read somewhere that this isn't safe. Is that true? How do you cope with formula feeding if you don't prepare in advance? Do you just have to try and calm a baby who is screaming for a feed? Thanks in advance - dumb question I know but I'm just not sure! smile

SteamWisher Sun 08-Dec-13 19:35:04

Why does she struggle with bf at night? I found bf at night easier - boob out, job done. What happens?

MrsArranLoves Sun 08-Dec-13 19:39:07

I think she is just too sleepy and also I don't seem to have as much milk at night so she's not getting enough from me and is still hungry. Really not sure what the reason for this is and I'd love to exclusively bf if I could.

Jiltedjohnsjulie Sun 08-Dec-13 19:43:15

How old is your baby and if she is sleepy, does she just go back to sleep? What's happening?

MrsArranLoves Sun 08-Dec-13 19:51:49

She's 3 weeks and was premature so we have struggled to establish bf. My milk was late coming in which hasn't helped. She doesn't go back to sleep until we feed her formula but just won't latch on sometimes during the night. Last night she was much better but the night before she just wasn't interested. There doesn't seem to be any clear pattern to it unfortunately.

crikeybadger Sun 08-Dec-13 20:02:28

Is it possible to feed her some expressed milk first then try her on the breast? Breast feeding is important at night to keep your supply up and if you are lengthening the gap between feeds by not feeding ( or expressing) then your supply will dwindle.

There's no reason why you will have less milk at night, have you tried feeding from one breast, changing to the second when she comes off that one and then go back to the first side again?

Babylonmood Sun 08-Dec-13 20:08:34

There was a long thread on formula preparation. The powder needs to be mixed with 70 degree water to kill the bugs in the powder - not the water. Most people boil water and let it cool to 70. You could do this in the evening, make the formula, then store in fridge until needed. I'm not sure if you can heat it up again.

Worth trying to persevere with bf at night.

Jiltedjohnsjulie Sun 08-Dec-13 20:18:29

I'd try what crikey suggests. It's ok to make up formula in advance as long as you make up the bottles to the current guidelines.

Please be aware though that any formula you give will impact on your supply, which is fine if you want to move over to ff but if not you might want to try some other things first.

Is there a bfing support group you can get to?

SteamWisher Sun 08-Dec-13 20:28:34

It might be worth chatting to a bf counsellor for advice. As not feeding at night will cause your supply to drop quickly if you want to carry on bf?

Jiltedjohnsjulie Sun 08-Dec-13 20:46:31

Mrs the bfing helpline numbers are here. It might be worth talking to a BFC now before your night feeds start smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now