ridiculously fussy 12 wk old....normal, growth spurt symptom or fresh bf problem?

(8 Posts)
cakebaby Sun 17-Nov-13 21:58:06

DS a few days away from 12 wks, many latching issues, had TT which was cut, bottle fed EBM for 4 wks, used shields and established bf. Gaining a very respectable amount of weight, due to be weighed in 2 days. He finally ditched the shields last week (yeah!) However, in the last week or so he had gone from feeding for up to an hr at a time to just 5-10 mins from one side only. He is not interested in taking the 2nd boob at all, in the last 2 days he's begun crying hysterically, bobbing on and off, clamping down and wrenching (ouch!) and arching away when the 2nd is offered. He is winded mid feed and before 2nd offered as he does seem to take in air. Consequently he is feeding every 2 hrs but at night when I bottle feed him EBM he will go 4 hrs between feeds.
Normal, growth spurt fussiness or do I need to fi d some RL help?

cakebaby Sun 17-Nov-13 21:58:55

find
Stupid tablet.

Jiltedjohnsjulie Sun 17-Nov-13 22:14:07

cake I'm no expert but I'd seek some RL help. I've read on here that sometimes tt can need snipping more than once, so it might be getting that checked too.

cakebaby Sun 17-Nov-13 22:18:56

Yep, good idea, I'd forgotten about that (sigh)

Jiltedjohnsjulie Sun 17-Nov-13 22:39:28

Sorry cake. Hope you get the support you need smile

Nareno Sat 23-Nov-13 17:06:57

My boy is 11 weeks and he often acts like that - usually when he is tired or windy. We've just come through a 4 day (or should I say Night) growth spurt which sounds very similar - shorter feeds more often, especially at night and loads of fussing - I was so tired by the end I had a meltdown but it did pass and last night he did 6 hours in a row and seems to be feeding normally again. They tend to have a spurt at about 3 months so if its not happened already that might be the problem. Maybe just keep trying with the rejected boob until he gets used to it again - my friends baby would only take one boob and so eventually one was big and full of milk and the other started to dry up - when the little girl was a toddler she used to demand "the big juicy boob!" in a loud voice. Hope things settle down.

cakebaby Sat 23-Nov-13 17:25:55

Thank you nareno grin at the big juicy boob!

He was weighed a few days ago & is still gaining at the same rate so he must be getting enough! Latch seems to have sorted itself out a bit too. HV said it was normal for some babies to feed really quickly but he still will only have one boob at a time.

duende Sat 23-Nov-13 22:21:39

My DD is 15 weeks and has been like this for weeks. She feeds for 5 minutes max and usually from one boob only. She fusses and then gets distressed if I try and get her to continue.
She is gaining weight ok and is on the 91st centile.
I try and not worry although it's difficult sometimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now