ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

can you overfeed a ff baby?

(6 Posts)
ThreeBecameFour Sun 17-Nov-13 19:16:00

My 13 week old ds seems to go going through a growth spurt and wants another feed or two more than the recommeded amount on the Aptamil box which is 5x 180ml feeds during 24 hrs. He drains the bottle. Am i overfeeding him? He is on the 75th centile..he seems a v hungry baby compared to my dd at the same age....

Around 12 weeks is a growth spurt. If he's overfeeding, he will most likely throw it all back up.

I would just continue to feed him as you are, when he's hungry!

bundaberg Sun 17-Nov-13 20:08:13

you can overfeed a ff baby yes.
that said, personally I would follow his cues. the guidelines on the box are just that, guidelines. some babies will want more.

if you're concerned maybe have a chat with your HV?
if he's weighed relatively regularly you can check he's following (roughly) his centile...

ilovepowerhoop Sun 17-Nov-13 20:09:10

the figures given on the box are average figures and at that age both mine had at least 7 feeds in 24 hours. When mine were consistently draining each bottle I added an extra ounce to each one.

Poppet45 Sun 17-Nov-13 20:10:27

I def found my son fed way more than my daughter but yes you can overfeed with bottles - be it ff or ebm. Bottle feeding requires baby to put effort in to stop the milk flow (cover the holes with their tongues) while bfing requires them to work to get milk flow. So if they're tired or passive or overwhelmed bf babies might underfeed but bottle fed may overfeed. Watch him closely and try never to coax him to take that extra oz or finish the bottle though and he'll be grand.

ilovepowerhoop Sun 17-Nov-13 20:10:36

you are more likely to be overfeeding if you were trying to encourage him to finish a bottle when he doesnt actually want the rest. Let him take what he wants and finish when he wants and feed to his appetite

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now