it's 6am and I've already pumped twice today *highfives*

(23 Posts)
RiotBecky Sat 16-Nov-13 05:59:43

just wanted to share this as I'm a bit proud of myself for it grin

Havinganose Sat 16-Nov-13 06:20:17

Well done!

Livvylongpants Sat 16-Nov-13 06:23:55

I am pumping as we speak so I salute you.

I exclusively pump at its bloody hard work lol

RiotBecky Sat 16-Nov-13 06:46:03

I'm aiming to exclusively pump, ds is 5 weeks now and still having a few bottles of formula a day but it's slowly going down grin my poor nips though!

Livvylongpants Sat 16-Nov-13 07:00:25

What pump are you using? Lansinoh helps too. If you want to boost supply remember to pump for 5 mins after milk stops flowing and if you can get someone too help you with DS for the day and night do a pumpathon every 2 hours for 20 mins a side and you'll have a good boost.

smile

RiotBecky Sat 16-Nov-13 07:01:48

I use a lansinoh double electric pump, and I pump for 20 mins every 2 hours anyway smile don't take any supplements but thinking about it, as I had bad pumping habits and they've affected my supply sad

Livvylongpants Sat 16-Nov-13 07:02:02

My DS has had 1 box of aptimal since Birth and he's 7 weeks. I had mastitis so supply dropped loads. Still trying to build it back up so I can start freezing some down again but it's hard work, and doesn't help that I don't pump in the night as I'm lazy

Livvylongpants Sat 16-Nov-13 07:04:34

I use the spectra double. I have very bad pumping habits too. Often leave it for 4 hours and only pump on the night if I feel like it and have definatly noted the diffence. Have you got a pumping bra? They are brilliant as can massage breast while pumping to make sure empty and can mn I did it with my daughter for 4 months when my milk stopped due to stress I think (dad died). This time is much harder as I have a 2 year old DD as well as DS so getting the time seems to be impossible

How much do you get a time?

workingtitle Sat 16-Nov-13 07:57:26

High five! I have recently stopped expressing after every feed, now just once a day.
Definitely try massaging breasts, if you're not doing it already. My lactation consultant sent me this (rather dated) video that explains why /how
how to use your hands when you pump

RiotBecky Sat 16-Nov-13 13:09:17

I've tried a bit of boob rubbing during but didn't really notice a difference. It can vary, I can get about 200ml in the morning and then 60-120ml during the day. I've not heard of pumping bras!

Livvylongpants Sat 16-Nov-13 13:24:22

I have a pumpease bra, look on google, expensive but worth it. I can't really explain it but a do a bit of 2 hand squeezing lol kind of pushing the milk forward. It defiantly works.

Make sure your warm too as I find that helps too.

I can't use my double without the bra also with bra I can deal with baby or toddler as an hands free! I get about15oz in the morning then 5-10 oz every pump after that. Though at the moment the right gets double the left after I had mastitis in the left side.

If you ever hand express use te same technique whilst pumping... Works wonders to make sure boob
Is empty

mummymog Sat 16-Nov-13 15:01:50

i just got a pumping bra from amazon- cheapest i found, will link you in a minute when dd wakes up and i get my otherarm back. i'm doing 24 babymoon to try ad boost supply just now.

well done btw! i pumped twice in the night instead of one for the first time last night and now super glad of my day in bed.

mummymog Sat 16-Nov-13 15:02:50

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0052ZGRYQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mad one handed skills!

RiotBecky Sat 16-Nov-13 19:03:27

what's a 24 babymoon?? and mega thanks for the linkage xx

Livvylongpants Sun 17-Nov-13 07:02:37

24 baby moon I believe is when you go to bed with baby do 24 hours and just relax and feed

In pumping terms it means pumping every 1-2 hours day and night to boost aupply

RiotBecky Sun 17-Nov-13 12:07:07

I've found getting in 8 pumps a day so far is really boosting my supply. My american friends swear by drinking Gatorade so I'm going to see if there are any shops over here that sell it.

Livvylongpants Sun 17-Nov-13 12:58:26

My supply has really dipped the last few days, not really sure why so need to up my pumps to 8 I think. Will try and squeeze in a few pumpathons when the kids are asleep

Pumpathon is pump 10 mins on 10 mins off for an hour. To be honest I think the only great trick is just pumping and more pumping.

Have you heard of domperidone? It's a treatment for bloating but is meant to work wonders at boosting milk. You can buy it over the counter at boots so tempted to go and get some tomorrow. I

It doesn't Help that DS is going through a growth spurt so is eating at an alarming rate. Makes me feel down to give him formula which I had to do in the night. He pulls me evils whilst he drinks it lol

Livvylongpants Sun 17-Nov-13 13:06:12

The reason behind Gatorade is it is a hydration drink. Lucozade sport or other isotonic drinks should have the same effect I believe

I just googled that information and am going to send DH out for lucozade lol

midori1999 Sun 17-Nov-13 14:18:39

Great that you've managed to increase your supply.

Having exclusively pumped and had my milk dry up and exclusively pumped and had a ridiculously huge amount of milk, the only difference was pumping more often (just 15 mins each time with a double pump, no 'pumpathons') and expressing at least once at night, between 12pm and 4am.

crikeybadger Sun 17-Nov-13 19:40:41

I've also read that women have increased their output by hand expressing after using the pump. There is some good info on the best for babes website (sorry can't link).

Poppet45 Sun 17-Nov-13 20:30:06

Livvy I'd def increase the frequency of pumping before considering domperidone. Its a med with side effects for you and baby and it cant work miracles if your boobs arent getting emptied often enough. Pumping every four hours isnt really frequent enough - you need to fit in at least 8 and pref up to 10-12 expressing seshes a day. They dont have to be long but one does have to be in the wee small hours if you want to increase supply. Otherwise it will slowly dwindle. But you could mix feed long term if thats more realistic its often forgotten but its a valuable option

Livvylongpants Mon 18-Nov-13 08:30:17

Has a long pumping day yesterday, every hour or so all day. I have enough to feed him just not enough to be ahead of him.

I've tried the night pump but I find it really hard as I can't seem to switch off after, and I'm hardly getting any sleep as it is. I'm going to try to fit in a daytime nap tonight so I can wake in the night easier... Not an easy task with a 2 year old and a newborn.

Livvylongpants Mon 18-Nov-13 08:33:14

I did it with my daughter for 4 months with no fenugreek or domperidone etc the recommendation from my HV was to pump every 3 - 4 hours for 15 mins a time. And that's all I used to do

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now