Fixing a poor latch -too late?

(8 Posts)
Mayanbob Fri 15-Nov-13 22:35:49

Help!

I have been EBF DS1 for 11 weeks now. He had a good latch for a bit, and put on a ton of weight around weeks 2-3. He's been gaining well since although started to slow up a bit recently.

However, he is a noisy eater, clucking/taking in air at the breast. BF counsellor said it was tongue tie (previously advised by midwife that it was too small to matter), had tongue tie snipped and still continues. The breastfeeding clinic at the hospital where this happened said it was due to over supply - which I agree with. I was showering anyone in a close radius and poor baby was gagging. I would wait for let down and catch initial let down in a muslin. However, this has now slowed. Which is less messy, but baby now gets impatient, wrestles with me for a bit before giving up and sucking his hand.

I think it's because he never really latched properly after the first few weeks and now has forgotten how. Also he is frustrated at the slowness of it now.

I have tried going back to basics, but it isn't working. Over the last 4 weeks he's gone from just over the 75th centile to just over the 50th. Although this hasn't been picked up by the health visitors because they keep plotting it incorrectly and I only noticed myself today when looking at my red book.

Is there any way to fix this? Or does his latch as the BF Counsellor put it "may just be the way it is" (said when I was overproducing)

The only advice I found from the nbci website said that it was best to get a good latch earlier on.

Sorry this is so long. I hope someone can help!

Sounds like you both need to relax a bit. There's another growth spurt around 12 weeks, so he may be getting frustrated because he can't get at it quickly enough.

Have you tried feeding in the bath? I found this the single best way to get my boy latched in the first few weeks. Make sure the water is warm enough and deep enough to cover him, and have someone on hand to help you get out!

Has he been checked for a lip tie as well?

Mayanbob Sat 16-Nov-13 08:17:54

Thank you visualise

You are right- I need to chill out a bit. And DScould probably benefit from that a bit as well. I will definitely give feeding in the bath a go.

I may have been freaking out a little as I am under a wee bit of stress, am overtired and was watching Children in Need- not a good combination.

Bunnychan Sat 16-Nov-13 09:29:49

My LO always used to do this- especially when my flow was fast. She seems to have stopped doing it now that's she's a bit older (5 months). Funny that I've only just realised that she's stopped. If it's not painful, Ds is gaining weight and seems happy then I wouldn't worry.

It is ok to freak out! But sometimes you need to take a step back and a deep breath.

Have you tried loosening his latch with your little finger and then trying to relatch?

Mayanbob Sun 17-Nov-13 20:56:48

Bunny it's good to hear that i'm not the only one... and the idea that it isn't permanent is a good thing.

Visualise I do that if it's painful or obviously really shallow, but most of the time it's such a loose latch I don't really need to because he's slipping all over the place anyway. Plan is to try feeding in the bath this week.

He is gaining weight, and although it is more slowly than it has been, it's still within the 4-8oz that i've seen mentioned.

Thank you both smile

bittapitta Sun 17-Nov-13 21:44:04

It's not too late! I went to a great NCT BF cafe when DD was around 10 weeks - much older than all the little week-old babies there! I was worrying too much about the 'clicking' noise I could hear and thinking she was swallowing lots of air. I also had a plentiful supply, remember the catching it it a muslin days, baby coming off in shock, squirting everywhere... it settles down, promise.

Have you tried the laidback/biological nuturing position? i.e. instead of holding the baby across you, lean back (comfortably supported) and let the baby lie tummy on your tummy. This is a good image of what I mean, and the NCT BF counsellors showed me how with practical help, so I'd recommend getting more hands-on help if you can. The nice thing about it if you have oversupply is that the flow is working slightly against gravity so it should calm things down a bit.

Mayanbob Tue 19-Nov-13 21:25:32

bittapitta. Thanks for giving me hope!!

I have tried that, but baby was all over the show (I am of the bigger boob, and he kind of disappeared head first in it). He's got a bit more control of himself now, so i'll give it another go.

It's also amazing how much difference a few days make. Situation hasn't changed but following positive words on here and a bit of sun, I feel a whole lot more positive.

Thank you Mumsnet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now